We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the chunnel really that cool? :)

eugene
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
is the chunnel really that cool? :)

we are planning our return to london heathrow from paris and were going to take the eurostar, which will be about 200 us dollars and then would have to get from the london eurostar station to heathrow.

now I'm wondering if the better way to go is a cheap flight through easyjet or ryanair.

they will probably come out to about the same expense after airport transfers and such, but probably less time on a flight.

I'm wondering if travelling the chunnel is a "do not miss" or is it just "kinda cool?"

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

It isn't everyday that you can travel under the English Channel so I would opt for the Eurostar. I took it on my first trip to Europe in 1995. You're under the channel for 20 minutes and your passport is stamped English Channel.

eugene
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

:) that is pretty cool

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

Don't bother to fly, as Eurostar will take you city centre to centre. Ryanair fly to Beauvais, I think, well outside Paris, so you'd lose precious time getting from the airport to the city.

The guard on the train will make an announcement about two minutes before the lights go out and the train descends into the tunnel. There is absolutely nothing to see there, but it is an unusual feeling to be under so much water and soil.

For the journey back from Paris to Heathrow, do ensure you allow sufficient time to get from St Pancras to LHR. King's Cross station is adjacent to St Pancras, with the walk from Eurostar arrivals to the Underground station at KX taking about ten minutes. From KX the Tube trip to Heathrow will take about an hour.

eugene
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

Thanks again Travellerplus! You are making my trip planning so much easier! You should get paid for this! :) I think I will go ahead and chunnel it

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

Simply, Eurostar is the fastest and least stessful means of getting from the centre of Paris (or Brussels) and central London.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

Having done both twice, I prefer the Eurostar. Now that the train time is only 2 hours and 20 minutes, I think it's actually a faster way to get from central London to central Paris. No airport transfers, no time waiting after check-in, and it's more scenic, except for that 20 minutes underground.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

Agree with all the above.

Plus...don't forget that the chances of delays and cancellations with Ryanair or Easyjet are much higher than with the Eurostar. There are no guarantees that the Eurostar will be on time but I'd rather take my chances with them than with flying.

Plus...travelling on the Eurostar is far, far less stressful than flying.

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

If you are travelling Paris to Heathrow for a flight it makes absolutely no sense at all to take Eurostar. The experience of going through the tunnel is no more exciting than closing a curtain, and it leaves you with a horrible journey to Heathrow once you get to St Pancras.

By contrast Paris CDG is on the RER, very easy to reach depending where you are in Paris. Depending on the flight you buy you may even be able to check bags through to your onward flight - BA flights start at around £64 one way and include your luggage allowance and other fees that are add ons with Easyjet and the like.

Equally if you are travelling city centre to city centre, flying makes little sense compared to Eurostar.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

Central Paris to central London the Eurostar is by far the quickest way. Paris to Heathrow I would probabaly fly. However this would have to b e on BA or Air France - sleazyjet and ryanair don't fly in to Heathrow and transferring between airports in London would be much worse than getting from St Pancras to Heathrow.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is the chunnel really that cool? :)

Does anyone take carbon footprints into account at all?