We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick vs. Heathrow

los angeles
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick vs. Heathrow

My friends and I are travelling from Dublin to London. We can get cheap tickets into Gatwick, but I am not familiar with that airport. How would we get from Gatwick to the center of london? what is the easiest way? we will have some luggage with us, and we arrive at about noontime.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick vs. Heathrow

I think it's easier (and cheaper) to get from Heathrow to central London than it is from Gatwick.

Should you fly to Gatwick, you'd need to take the train to the city. Depending on the location of your hotel you could take the Southern service to Victoria or the First Capital Connect train to London Bridge, St Pancras or City Thameslink stations. Single (one way) fares are about £11 for the journey from LGW to any of the stations mentioned. Travel time from LGW to Victoria is about 40 minutes, perhaps 45 to St Pancras.

The Piccadilly line runs from Heathrow to central London. The most you'd pay for the journey is £4, but that could be cheaper if you use a Travelcard or Pay As You Go on Oyster. The Piccadilly line connects with the District line at Hammersmith and with other lines along its route towards King's Cross and beyond, with travel time from LHR to KX about an hour.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick vs. Heathrow

travellerplus,does the Thameslink still operate from gatwick to london,bypassing Victoria and straight to other stations? I used it in 2002,and thought it was great.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick vs. Heathrow

Rather than Thameslink, the train operator is now First Capital Connect. The trains run from Gatwick to East Croydon, Clapham Junction, London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, St Pancras (domestic) and from there to Bedford.

However. The old Thameslink routing has recently started a substantial overhaul, with some services limited at weekends and at night, and from this month the trains will no longer call at Barbican and Moorgate.

Check the FCC website for more info and www.thamselinkprogramme.co.uk as well for current operating status.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick vs. Heathrow

You say "heathrow vs Gatwick" in your title, so prsumably that's where you are comparing it with. Which terminal at Heathrow is the competition? I find all of the terminals at Heathrow exzcept T5 (which I've not visited yet) to be foul hellholes, and I'll happily put up with a longer journey from Gatwick to central London to avoid Heathrow.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick vs. Heathrow

Personally, I much prefer Gatwick to Heathrow. In my experience, Heathrow always seems to take longer to get through once you've landed.

It's pretty easy to get into central London from Gatwick. The easiest way is the Gatwick Express, but if you want to save some money the stopping trains are cheaper.

6. Re: Gatwick vs. Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 19:19