We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

Maybe a strange question but....

We have a choice of flying into CDG or Heathrow for our couple weeks.

We have an apartment confirmed in Paris from 20 April to 27 April.

My question is:

Fly into CDG and almost immediately take the Eurostar from CDG to London, spend a week and then Eurostar back to CDG & Paris.

Or:

Fly into Heathrow, send a week and then Eurostar to Paris for the week and then return to London for a flight back to the US.

Opinions?

FWIW we must do a round trip from the US due to using limited rewards miles.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

Can you fly to CDG, spend time in Paris, take Eurostar to London and fly home from LHR? If not, can you fly to London, stay there for the time you've planned, then take Eurostar to Paris and fly home from there?

Can you use your Miles for an open jaw flight? If not, which has more availability, XXX-CDG-XXX or XXX-LHR-XXX?

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

Cannot fly into one and out of the other. It's an issue with the airmiles. Could we, we would.

So, it's either fly into LHR and do what we do, then fly back home form LHR, or the same thing but from CDG.

Sort of a which airport is the worst to fly into and out of really...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

Right. Since you need to choose between airports, I'd say go for LHR since it's much less headache-inducing than CDG, at least in my experience.

Since your time in Paris is confirmed, you may wish to check the train fares at www.eurostar.com to ascertain whether or not to spend time in London before or after your stay in Paris. Fares go on sale 12 weeks in advance of travel, so you may find that the cheapest fares are sold out for some train times; if that's the case, consider flying to Paris from Heathrow, spending your week there then taking Eurostar back to London for your stay in that city.

However, single (one way) fares on Eurostar may be a bit higher than return fares, so that could prove to be a bit dicey.

Should you wish to take Eurostar in both directions, though, please do allow enough time to get to and from Heathrow and St Pancras: I'd leave at least four and a half hours from plane/train arrival time to get to the rail station or airport.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

4 1/2 hours from LHR to St. Pancras?

GOOD LORD!

I would have never thought it so.....

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

The journey does not take four and a half hours, but the machinations involved in getting from one to the other can eat up time.

Let us say your flight touches down at LHR on time, but because it's busy (and it is a busy airport) there is a ten minute wait to find someone to drive the airbridge to the plane. There is further five minute wait to get equipment to the airbridge before doors open. -15min

The wait at passport control could be less than a minute or it could be 30 minutes, so allow more time rather than less. -30 minutes

With T5 open and much less strain on the baggage routings between T4 and the other terminal buildings, baggage usually gets to the belts in fairly good time. Any delay, though, could be more time spent standing and looking at the belt go around.... and around..... and around. -10 minutes

The walk from Arrivals to your mode of transport to central London can take five minutes or 15 minutes. Depending on how you choose to get to central London, the journey could take 20 minutes or an hour. In the case of the former, that's using the HEX, which runs four times an hour. Miss one train and you'll have to tack on another 15 minute wait for the next train -15 minutes

So. You're either at Paddington, from which you'll need to take the Tube, a bus or a taxi to St Pancras (25 minutes for the first two, 15 for the second) or at King's Cross - the journey will have taken an hour, but KX is adjacent to St Pancras, and the cost of the trip from LHR is considerably cheaper than HEX plus taxi.

From wheels down to St Pancras, if all goes well, may take two hours, and that's if every aspect is bang on time, quick like a bunny. I have a soft spot for Heathrow (some say it's between my ears) and am usually patient with its glitches and flaws, but if I were in a hurry and anything went wrong, my blood pressure would shoot up into the ionosphere.

Anyway. Two hours from LHR to St Pancras. You need to be there at least 40 minutes before the train departs, to go through Security and ticket checks. You may need to collect your tickets, which adds a few more minutes. You may not wish to have to rush on to the train without grabbing a newspaper or magazine and something to eat - another 15 minutes will have ticked by. That's three hours, plus or minus a few minutes. Add in any potential for bigger delays at LHR or at your airport of departure and the time starts to get tight.

You may be more tolerant of risk than I, in which case you could book the train for about three and a half hours after scheduled arrival at LHR. Anything less than three hours is pushing it, I think.

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

Why not fly to London, spend a few days in London, take the Eurostar to Paris, spend time in Paris, take the Eurostar back to London, spend a few days in London, fly home?

That eliminates the need to rush from an airport to the Eurostar terminal in either city. You'll go city center to city center and have a short hop to your hotel except on your initial arrival in London.

Or you could take the Eurostar to Paris and fly back to Heathrow in time to catch your flight home, possibly checking your bags all the way through when you hit CDG.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

Great suggestions all.

The boss has spoken "I want to go to Brussels before doing anything else. The rest is up to you"....

So, in order to keep the missus in a good mood, we now fly into BRU on the 12th. Hang around for 4 days and then head to London. Hang around for 4 days and then head to Paris. Hang around there for 7 days and then head back up to Brussels for 1 night prior to the flight back home.

Worse yet, it will be 1st on Eurostar from BRU to St. Pancras and from St. Pancras to Paris Gare Du Nord. OH LORD WHAT THAT COSTS!

Luckily THALYS to Brussels ABS will be 2nd (and cheap)....

Regardless of all this, I'm certainly looking forward to being in London for the first time.

Warm beer and mushy peas....lol

8. Re: Eurostar from/to/from CDG/Heathrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 08:22