We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around London -- which card to get?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
414 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around London -- which card to get?

Arriving at London City Airport on a Friday - Leaving from City Airport on a Monday. Staying in Marble Arch to do the touristy things. Could anyone let me know which travel ticket to buy, which would be the cheapest option etc.

Thanks Jane

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around London -- which card to get?

Oyster Card each, loaded with £23 + £3 deposit. You will be able to get the deposit and any unused money back when you leave. The DLR station at LCY has a ticket office, so you should be able to buy and get your refund there.

Easiest way to Marble Arch is DLR to Bank and then a fairly long walk with quite a few escalators and stairs to the Central Line to Marble Arch.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around London -- which card to get?

You need an 'oyster' card, I believe they are around £5.00 daily and can be used on tube and buses alike. The minimum fare on the tube is £4.00 per journey and £2.00 on the buses, so obviously a card is very attractive. The best way however to see the sites is the Original London Tour Bus, these are the old red buses and cost arounf £22.00 per adult for a 1 day ticket, they do a tour around all the famous buildings, some have a live commentary on board, you can get on and off as much as you like and ride around as much as you like. To see everything of interest, they are a real good idea. If, however, you are staying near Marble Arch, you will see a lot on foot, you will not be fare from Piccadily and Theatreland, not to mention The Parks and Buckingham Palace,etc.

Have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,881 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around London -- which card to get?

I'm not terribly patient, so I would avoid the change at Bank right now, but it's really up to you.

I would take the DLR towards Bank but change at Limehouse for the train to Tower Gateway. At Tower Gateway I'd walk across the road to bus stop TC (on the Minories, about a minute's walk from the DLR station) and take any of the numbers 42, 78 or 100 to Liverpool Street and get the Central line from there.

4. Re: Getting around London -- which card to get?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:28