We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus route map to buy?

Athens
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
bus route map to buy?

Cananyone suggest a good map for bus routes in London that i can buy? Covering not only central London but if possible all zones of it as i am interested to travel to ares out of centre like Hampton Court

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,326 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus route map to buy?

don't think there is one.

The free ones change every couple of months, only in detail. They are, I think, only for the generally central areas.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus route map to buy?

you normally pick one up free at tube stations

London, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus route map to buy?

You could always go to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/9440.aspx

and print off/download what you need

Athens
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus route map to buy?

Thanks for your answers.

I have seen these maps in tfl.go.uk but if you print them in A4 paper you will need a microscope to read them.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus route map to buy?

It might be simpler if you say why you need one. This may sound silly, but they are not that useful - especially if you use the journeyplanner on www.tfl.gov.uk.

Most people want to go from A to B. They don't need a map covering the whole of London and every bus route. So, as you've found, those maps are too detailed or too big.

The large bus map is on just about every bus stop, so if you turn up somewhere, its fairly easy to find out what bus you need to get somewhere (allied to the journeyplanner).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus route map to buy?

Sorry - you do say why you need a map. In that case - just use the journey planner. EG - take the tube to Richmond and get the R68 bus....

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
162 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus route map to buy?

Hello - I can't vouch for whether or not this map is still valid but since it is still on the TFL website, I am hopeful that it is - tfl.gov.uk/assets/…central_bus_map.pdf. That is a link to a map of key bus routes in central London that a typical tourist may be interested in. It is basically central London but it not so small that it is illegible. What's nice about taking buses is that you see more of the city than you would when you take the Tube. Hope this is helpful.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
986 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus route map to buy?

You used to be able to get bus maps for different areas of London at the Tourist Office in Lower Regent St. They were divided into segments like south-west London, south-east London. That sounds as if it's what you want. They were free. It's been a while since I picked on up, perhaps someone else can confirm that they are still available. I found them most useful

Athens
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus route map to buy?

thank you interpid75. I think that's what i am looking for. I hope they are still available

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bus route map to buy?

I love the bus map, it's very useful to use to find busses while you are out and about.

I did have an all London one but I don't believe it included as far out as Hampton Court.

I am also not sure if they still make that one.

However, they do have a central one and ones for NW, NE, SW, SE London, you just have to ask; they also have/had them at the British tourist office on Lower Regent's street.

However, none of this will help you until you are actually in London and can pick up the maps.