We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BC
1 post
Save Topic
Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

I'm trying to decide between staying at Adamotel which is nr Earl's Court station and Gloucester Rd station and a B&B down by the Kennington tube station. We are two gay Canadian guys in our 40's and not familiar with either neighbourhood. We're looking for a gay area where we can meet other gay men, locals and visitors, but feel safe walking around at night. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

Collingham Road is pretty nice, and I'd certainly say stay there versus the Oval. But then south of the river is a bit of a mystery to me, so you'll have to ask mick67 or other helpful TA London forumites from Saarf London for up to date info on Kennington.

Would you two consider an apartment? I can recommend Astons Apartments, near Gloucester Road, but it's more than 30GBP per night - but you would save a bit by making a meal or a snack in your kitchen-in-a-cupboard.

Earl's Court Road is a pretty vibrant area, and used to have fairly substantial populations of both Aussies and gay men and women. It's more diverse now but always busy, with late opening shops and takeaways. I feel quite safe walking around Earl's Court Road and Gloucester Road at night, and I'm a straight woman in her...well, no longer in her thirties.

High St Kensington is another fabbo neighbourhood; you could try the Clearlake Hotel - they do small apartments at a good price, too.

Just to give you more options.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

I would choose Earls Court over Kennington.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

Suggest Earls Court over Kennington/Oval area - easier to get home at night, better transport links & has a diverse population.

Some black taxi cabs not keen on Saarf Lunnen after a certain time at night - not so easy to get a fare back into town, whereas Earl's Court throbs until the early hours & is also close enough to Paddington/LHR to pick a new fare.

The weekly Time Out has a gay/lesbian section & also publishes a Gay/Lesbian guide to London.

Suggest you cut along to Old Compton Street in Soho, there are loads of cafes & restaurants where you can sit outside & watch the world go by - Balans is popular & some cafes have the rainbow flag. It's a mixed area - trendy/trad, straight/gay, locals/workers - & has been so for generations.

It's a good place to hang out for breakfast, lunch,& pitstops & pick up on the London vibe & within walking distances of most attractions.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

I'm from South London and have never had any trouble getting a cab home but that is a whole new post....

I would go for Earl's Court, it is much nicer than Kennington and has a more vibrant atmosphere to it. Most of us Kiwis and Aussies are out of there now because it is too expensive but there is a great mix of people, a lot of young/middle aged professionals. Not sure about the gay scene around there but my flatmate seems to spend a lot of time in Soho so I guess that is probably the best place to go for you to meet and party with other gay men.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

I doubt if you'd ever have a problem getting a cab to Oval.

The advantage of Oval is that it's very close to the river with good transport - but for a neighbourhood you can explore and stroll around in I'd choose Earls Court, too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

Vauxhall/Oval area is popular in the gay scene.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

I found this, which might help you. But do note 'the ironic name of Vauxhall village'.

Vauxhall 'Gay Village'

Vauxhall is home to several gay bars and nightclubs such as The Factory, Crash, Action, Rough@The Factory, Beyond, Orange, South Central and the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, various other centred around the Vauxhall station area. The presence of London's only gay gym (the Paris Gym), the burgeoning club scene and the recent opening of several shops serving the gay community have resulted in the ironic nickname of "Vauxhall village" being applied to the area. Soon to open up is a new sauna and another new bar called Barcode.

Canberra
Level Contributor
128 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

Can't common on the gay scene at either but having just been in London I would recommend Earl's Court for convince: The tube station is definately better at Earl's Court

UK
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

recommend eral's court, beyond all there is the best shopping for food in london, tesco and sainsbury, plus fulham market nearby. we are staying adamotel, excellent

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earl's Court or Kennington/Oval?

Hmmmmm, at the risk of some fellow TALFers having a hissy fit, I would say that although Vauxhall has a good gay scene, it's NOT that close (in many ways) to Kennington/Oval district.

For everyday coming & going to your digs, you'll find Earls Court/Gloucester Road stations easier for transport & street vibe.

Old Compton Street is a great place to start your visit. As mentioned, plenty of cafes - Blans & Cafe Nero are popular - so plenty of people watching. Sunday brunch time is nice, as the vehicle traffic is minimal & OLS feels pedestrianised.