We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

Me and my husband are arriving at Heathrow airport in Nov. I am planning to take Piccadilly tube line from airport to Earls Court and taking a cab from there to Hotel Ibis. We will have about 3 pieces of roll-on luggage and one 3yr old child. How difficult would it be to get on and off the tube with all of these?

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

As long as one of you can handle two suitcases and the other the remaining suitcase and your child you shouldn't have any trouble. There are designated luggage areas on the piccadilly line tubes so your only effort will be getting them and your child off the tube and up to street level.

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

Firstly, if you are travelling into Terminal Four at Heathrow you will find the Piccadilly Line station there is closed until September 2006 - building works for Terminal 5. As a result, a bus service runs from Terminal 4 to Hatton Cross which is the nearest Piccadilly Line station - there are two short flights of steps down to the platform at Hatton Cross. It is claimed that teams of porters are available to help - others may have seen them.... The alternative is to take the Heathrow Express from Terminal 4 which runs into Paddington Station and take a cab from there to your hotel. I would guess its about 20 minutes drive from Paddington Station depending on the time of day.

The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Earls Court Station so a cab from there may not be necessary. An alternative would be to take the Heathrow Express from TN4 to the central airport area (free) and then move onto the Piccadilly Line from there.

If you are arriving at one of Terminals 1-2-3 in the central area of the airport, the Piccadilly Line station is open and is 10 minutes walk via a series of tunnels from Terminal 3 - about 5 mins from the other two terminals. The Line gets busy during commuting hours and can be subject to repair works at weekends. I'd say you're probably best off taking the Piccadilly Line and walking to the hotel from Earls Court Station.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,934 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

As mtsc pointed out, the tube stationat T4 is closed until next year. The Heathrow Express runs a free transfer service between T4 and T1,2,3 (one station for all three buildings), and from the HEX station you can walk to the tube station at T1,2,3.

If you arrive at T4 and don't want to take the shuttle bus to Hatton Cross, your total time for walking to the stations and the HEX trip shouldn't be more than 20 minutes - that's including the time for your small person to walk. Signage is good for all of this part of the trip, and there may be travelators in some of the tunnels to get to and from the tube and HEX station - it's all done underneath the terminal buildings.

There are indeed people to help with bags at Hatton Cross, should you choose that route, as there are steps from the ticket hall to the train platform.

You might want to choose a carriage toward the front of the train for your trip to Earl's Court, as the lift (elevator) is located at that end of the station. Also, the train drivers do watch to see if people are struggling to get on and off the trains with baggage, as Earl's Court has a lot of visitors using the tube.

Even though the Ibis is fairly close, after a long flight you might be best off taking a taxi, just for convenience. Make sure you use the Earl's Court Road exit from the station.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

Thanks for the headsup about the closing of station T4. Right now, I don't know which terminal we fly into, but I'll definitely keep this point in mind. Thanks sooo much

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

have you booked a flight et if so who with?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

Yes, my tickets are with US Airways

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

Oh no! Oh no!! Just noticed that I land in Gatwick and fly out from Heathrow!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

never heard of them coming into heathrow, do I walk round T3 with my eyes closed or do they go into T4...anyone?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

I just looked on heathrow info for this airline and cant find it listed.

usairways does however fly into gatwick airport...is this where you are going into?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with luggage on Piccadilly Tube from Heathrow

glad thats sorted out, gatwick is a number of miles from heathrow, you will need to get the train direct into victoria station no tube train runs there.

who are you flying out with? another airline?