We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

Berkeley, CA
3 posts
Save Topic
Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

I plan to take the 10am train from London to Edinburgh on Sunday, April 5th. Would it be necessary to reserve my seat, or might there be plenty of available seats. I will have a Britrail Flexipass.

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

To be honest, I don't know, but having stood the whole journey years ago, I would suggest you may want to have the peace of mind of a seat.

And its worth checking if there are any engineering work going on, as Sundays are a favourite time for these.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

These trains are often very very busy. I'm not sure especially about 10am Sunday, but recently I took the train as far as York at what I thought was a quiet time and the train was absolutely packed. You are planning to travel the weekend before Easter which I imagine is going to be a popular time to travel. I would definitely make a reservation if you know that's the train you want to take.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

Firstly, I would not travel on the eastcoast mainline on a Sunday as engineering works slow the trip down significantly.

Secondly, it's the weekend before Easter and folk will be travelling all over so yes, do reserve a seat or you could end up sitting in the corridors, by the toilets for 6 hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,773 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

There are planned works on that day that will add 60 minutes to your journey.

I would always reserve a seat on long distance journeys.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

Note that if you walk into any train station (not underground) in the UK and ask, they will reserve a seat on this train for you free of charge. People have posted in this forum before about being charged a lot of money in the US for what is a free service.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

The 1000hrs train from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh runs on April 05 and is diverted via Leeds due to track work on the direct route. There is no need, however, to change trains and the arrival time of 1541hrs allows time for the diversion.

I agree with other posters on this thread, Sunday services on this route are often busy. Simply take your Britrail pass to any staffed station upon arrival in UK and seat reservations will be made for you on the 1000hrs service for no additional cost.

Berkeley, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

Thanks for the responses. I arrive in the U.K. April 2, at which time I'll make the reservation. It won't be too late, will it? Now I'm a bit worried that all the seats will already be reserved.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,773 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

I think, with 3 days to go, you'll be fine. Remember, many passengers travel at the last minute.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

On April 05 there are 3 departures shown from Kings Cross to Edinburgh within 35 minutes - 0935hrs (change York), 1000hrs (direct) and 1010hrs (change Leeds); additional services run at 1100hrs (change York) and 1200hrs (direct). That's a lot of seats on a Sunday morning and you should have no problems making reservations 3 days out.

London / Edinburgh is normally a direct route and one rarely needs to change trains. A number of services on April 05 do, however, require 1 change en route due to a section of the diversionary route requiring use of diesel trains whereas the normal route is fully electrified. The 1000hrs service is diesel powered hence no change required.

10. Re: Reservation needed for London to Edinburgh train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 06:31