We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google Street View launches in the UK

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,740 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Google Street View launches in the UK

Go to http://maps.google.co.uk/ type in a London address or landmark and drag the orange 'man' to the street.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

Yes, all very funny, until it's your own privacy at stake. I continue to be appalled that this is viewed as acceptable behaviour.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

Yes Nick, I can appreciate the stress caused to some people but with regards to your worry of children being seen frolicking in paddling pools - how many parents set up paddling pools and/or allow their kids to play in the front garden? I don't think you have the option of dragging the orange man into peoples back gardens do you? I think it might have been nice of them to inform people of the day the vehicle was in their area perhaps......but in terms of Big Brother watching, this is pretty mild. I think it's a neat little tool myself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

Arrrgghh! THis is why it's so insidious - yes, it's "pretty neat technology". In fact, it's bloody marvellous. But they need to lose the people.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

Anyone who has your address now knows exactly what sort of building you live in.

Oh, of course, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. Only the guilty will suffer ....

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

<<Anyone who has your address now knows exactly what sort of building you live in.>>

I get what you're saying, but if that person already has your address, wouldn't s/he be able to come and see your building in person anyway? A true stalker is going to find a way to do it whether or not there is a picture of your building on the internet.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

Streetview has been out in Oz for months (seemed to cover most of the places I was visiting, too).

I here Google have taken down a few London pictures already (some guy objected to being on film throwing up outside a pub and another was annoyed he was captured on film being arrested!...This is going to be a real time-waster on a rainy day).

Actually, as a tourist I found it really useful to check out where I was staying so that we knew what the frontage of a place looked like (my husband has a habit of accelerating towards the turn-offs, I swear)!

I wonder when they'll get to Bath? Google Earth is still stuck in Summer 2007 (or earlier years - the weekend of the cricket festival) so I am not holding my breath.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

It's not just about stalkers - it's about people having access to information about me that they didn't know before. Before this, I coudl give my address to someone on the either side of the country to post me something, and remain anonymous. Now if I do that, they can see if I live in a mansion or a council flat.

But it's not the buildings I'm so worried about. If Google ever bring their little spycar down my road, I can get the picture removed. It;s the pictures of me out there that I don;t know about that I find intrusive.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

<<It's not just about stalkers - it's about people having access to information about me that they didn't know before. Before this, I coudl give my address to someone on the either side of the country to post me something, and remain anonymous. Now if I do that, they can see if I live in a mansion or a council flat.>>

As long as the person has your address, there is always the potential that he would be able to do this in person. You're just relying on the fact that he is at a distance to feel at ease about giving your address. Now it has become easier.

<<But it's not the buildings I'm so worried about. If Google ever bring their little spycar down my road, I can get the picture removed. It;s the pictures of me out there that I don;t know about that I find intrusive.>>

True, but these days more than ever, I think it's prudent to go out in public expecting to be on display. Like a PP said, what difference is there between you being photographed out and about in London vs. a tourist walking by and seeing you in person? If you (collective) don't want to be photographed puking outside a pub, well then... best not let it happen in the first place ;-)

I do understand the frustration though. I recently received an e-mail invitation to purchase tickets to a corporate hospitality event that I have attended for the past several years. Imagine my delight when the large picture in the invitation clearly shows me there last year with a beer in my hand :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

> As long as the person has your address, there is always the potential that he would be able to do this in person. <

Yes, but almost certainly wouldn't if they were a couple of hundred miles away.

> Like a PP said, what difference is there between you being photographed out and about in London vs. a tourist walking by and seeing you in person? <

Do you really not see a difference between being observed ephemerally, and having a permanent picture published for all to see, for ever.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Google Street View launches in the UK

<<Do you really not see a difference between being observed ephemerally, and having a permanent picture published for all to see, for ever.>>

It's a matter of degrees, imo. What if the tourist happens to snap a photo that includes you in the background, then posts the photo on the internet? Where is the line drawn?