We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gardens in April

Boston
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gardens in April

I'll be in London for the last weekend in April and wonder which flowers will be blooming and where best to see them? I look at the green patches on the maps that outline Hyde Park, Kensington gardens, Regent's Park, Green Park, St James Park and then further out Kew Gardens and wonder how they differ. Where should we go to soak up greeness and color after a too long winter?

April in Boston is a tease - the trees don't really leaf out until May and the only flowers are pansies and daffodils. I'm hoping that longer daylight and a little more moderate weather means you are a few weeks ahead of us. It is 20F (or -7C) outside as I write this - I mean what kind of spring is this???

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gardens in April

The daffodils and crocus have been blooming in the parks since late last month. Some trees had tender green buds and shoots on them earlier this month with some on the verge of popping those buds; by next month you should see plenty of shades of green from the colour wheel.

Here's a treat that may satisfy - and it opens to the public on 01 April: www.chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk - it was a bit blowsy and overgrown when I was there late last June but should be coming into the finest of Spring blossom in April.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gardens in April

Thanks to alternate sunny and rainy spells, and temperatures that have reached the mid to high teens Celsius, the parks are greening up nicely. Daffodils have been out for weeks now (the poor things are getting blown around in todays wind) and blossoms have already appeared on many of the trees.

Differences between the parks abound, each park has a different character. I heartily reccomend Kew Gardens though, for the sheer variety of trees, flowers etc. It's worth nearly a full day in my book, and certainly worth the journey.

For a quick stroll, I like the duck ponds at Regents Park, the different species of chinese ducks are really pretty.

By late April, I'm not sure exactly which flowers will be in bloom (I'm not a very good gardener) but the parks will be in good order, and I'm sure they will provide you with the perfect antidote to a harsh Boston winter.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gardens in April

Kew Gardens is a very nice trip todo, when inside the park there is a Kew Explorer bus that will take you around the grounds dropping off and picking up at different points. It costs afew pounds todo this.

When we had finished we walked into Richmond for some lunch, then caught a train/tube back into central London.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gardens in April

Regent's Park has always taken my breath away whenever I've seen it in April or May. The flower beds and rose garden in Holland Park can also be a spectacular sight (along with the strutting peacocks).

And if you happen to find yourself in Hyde Park, check out the arched trellis area and rose garden - located in the lower right-hand corner of the park near Hyde Park Corner tube. Then maybe follow up with a visit to the top of Wellington Arch so you can peek down into the Queen's backyard!

Enjoy the flowers!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gardens in April

Forgot to mention...don't discount the cemeteries. Unlike most burial grounds in America, European cemeteries are garden wonderlands.

Probably most central is Brompton, but Highgate (west) is worth a tube ride up the Northern Line (Archway stop).

http://www.highgate-cemetery.org/index.asp

Boston
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gardens in April

Thank you for the advise - I cannot wait!

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gardens in April

Daffodils will mostly be over by late April - they are early spring plants. However, early and mid season tulips will be out, and most of the blossom trees will have not passed their peak. Some magnolias may still be in flower - they are just coming out now.

Early azaleas and rhododendrons may be showing somelife, but really come into their own in mid to late May. Also watch out for wisteria and early flowering clematis, both of which can be spectacular.

Trees don't really leaf out any earlier in the UK than Boston (trees respond to day length more than anything, and until the equinox on 20th this year day length is shorter in London than Boston). However, smaller shrubs and some smaller tree species will leaf up much earlier than this, so by late April everything has a light green sheen of young leaves.

St James' park is a great spot for spring flowers in central London.

One things that really struck me as a comparison between Boston and the UK when I used to travel there a lot is that by April England looks very green - mainly due to grass and hedgerows (which will also have lots of flowers) - while Boston can still be looking pretty brown.

If you want to visit some REAL English gardens rather than the show gardens, why not take advantage of the National Garden Scheme open gardens program. There are gardens open around London the last week of April, and proceeds go to charity.

www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/gardenfinder.aspx

Enjoy.

8. Re: Gardens in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 09:17