We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Bath advice

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
602 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Bath advice

Hi all,

A while ago we were talking about the train to Bath in early June for a day trip. Do you think it's time to book those tickets now? Can anyone give me an idea of what a good fare would be? I'd like to schedule the departure but have an open return.

Thanks for everything.

Mench

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Bath advice

go to nationalexpresseastcoast and have a look at prices for the trips you want, in say 6 weeks time and in June, that should give you an indication if you are getting a good price and if the cheap june prices are out yet. Our rail pricing is insane, so you should check all combinations, for example particular time singles/returns , returns as singles, eg you might for example buy a single to get there , and a return coming back , you'd not use the return bit)which is cheaper than a single coming back - anything is possible !

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Bath advice

Don't forget the various discounts available with your train ticket:

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx…

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
602 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Bath advice

My goodness, just playing around with dates like a Monday late in April (our dates are too far out for now), I am getting an off peak return ticket for 49GBP. That seems awfully high, doesn't it? I think my daughter is training down from Edinburgh for less than that.

What do you all think?

Maybe I'm just too early?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,598 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Bath advice

Mondays are busy days. And it depends on the time of day. You are wanting an open return, too. And whether there is much competition on the line affects the price..

EG - Edinburgh to London competes with flights.

I think you'll find most long distance train fares are quite expensive (the most expensive in Europe), unless you find one of the few that are the headline bargains.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Bath advice

Sorry should probably have said, open returns are the most expensive. For the cheapest tickets you need to pick a fixed return time.

FWIW £49 IS a cheap (just not the cheapest) fare, I pay £40 for about 1/3 that distance on the same line :-)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Bath advice

The £49 is the standard fare off peak that will allow you to travel on any off peak train - ie it's flexible. You can buy it on the day at the same prioe.

To get it cheaper you will have to commit to specific trains in both directions and for the best fares for that you need to book early. Tickets are currently on sale until 17 June for weekdays.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
602 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Bath advice

So helpful.

I went back and checked and by buying two singles as JoeintheUK suggested earlier, we can get the fare down to 27GBP.

I can't find anything on the site that says these prices will go up, but should I expect them to? Would I be smarter to wait until a few days before we're going?

mench

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Bath advice

The cheap fares won't go up as such - they will just sell out leaving only more expensive fares available

Normally a few days before they will all have gone but you can get the occasional pleasant surprise.

9. Re: Train to Bath advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 13:18