We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airports are better if there's a choice?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which airports are better if there's a choice?

Hi there,

we will be coming to London second week in May.

Can't wait to get there and enjoyed all the posts on this forum.

We have seen a flight coming in at Luton and departing from Gatwick. I have vague memories of Gatwick as a small child so have no idea what its like for getting to CharingX or central London. ... (decision not entirely made yet regarding accommodation).

It will be around 19:00 hrs - will it be light around that time; am not v good at working out time differences ...

Basically, following my earlier query, Seeing London with a Disability, I wonder which airports are the better ones to arrive and depart from. Found Heathrow a bit of a nightmare. Guess that will never change. My son will be a wheelchair- assisted passenger, at least inside the building. This is primarily because of long distances inside airport buildings and not because of having one's own queue :) A friend said to me that coming in at Terminal 2 at Heathrow is not a bad option because the distance is not too far.

Lastly, has anyone participated in the safety course offered by BA - I think it is just a few hours and you get to go down the shute. I fly quite a bit with my son and just thought it might not be a bad idea and he'd probably enjoy it.

Regards and thanks for any feedback.

Lizby

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airports are better if there's a choice?

Luton is a fairly small airport with just one terminal. Buses and coaches are to be found right outside the terminal building but if you are planning on getting the train to central London you have to take a shuttle bus to Luton Parkway station which could be awkward.

Gatwick has two terminals. The railway station is located right underneath South Terminal and there are lifts from platform level to the station concourse. After that everything is on the flat until you get airside. The North Terminal is reached by a monorail light rail which runs every few minutes.

T2 at Heathrow to the tube station isn't far but does involve stairs or escalators and then another escalator down to platform level.

It will still be light at 7.00pm in May. In fact it will probably be light until 9.00pm by the end of the month.

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airports are better if there's a choice?

Hi there,

thanks so much for answering all my questions!

Just makes it a lot easier when one knows (more or less) what to expect and better able to deal with other things that happen!

We found Zürich and Frankfurt the most difficult, the former because there were hardly any signs and few people to ask on a late flight; the latter simply because of its size and huge numbers of passengers in transit.

Thanks also for info on when it gets dark.

Have a good weekend.

Regards

Lizby

3. Re: Which airports are better if there's a choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 07:27