We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St George's Day

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
St George's Day

we'll be in London for just the 23rd and 24th- are there any special dos for St. George's Day we ought to try to get to?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St George's Day

Lots. (well, 2). Mayor Boris is determined to mark the occasion.

I won't be celebrating as I've already enjoyed St Andrews Day and Robert Burn's Night.

www.london.gov.uk/mayor/culture/stgeorge.jsp

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St George's Day

According to peterscot's link, they will fly an English flag outside the London council offices, and (er) that's it.

But there may possibly be a TALF meetup on that day.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St George's Day

Surely more than that, Glyn?

There's wild celebrations and a concert in Trafalgar Square.

Plus it's Shakepeare's birthday, so Boris will bereading some sonnets to the crowd.

The Met will be on hand to control the mob if it gets out of hand.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St George's Day

The poster writes that they are here "for just the 23rd and 24th".

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St George's Day

Sorry - just noticed those events are not on St George's Day.

Yep - looks like the flag is the highlight.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St George's Day

Celebrating nationalism is frowned upon in the UK. You may find one or two English flags being flown defiantly but the powers that be wouldn't want anything upsetting other nationalities. Not that it would.

As suggested, Mayor Johnson reading Shakespeare in his own inimitable fashion might be about as entertaining as it gets.

Unlike St. Patrick's Day in the US which still baffles most people!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St George's Day

I don't think it's frowned upon. The vast majority of people from ethnic minorities who live here have no problem with it being celebrated. However, our wonderful press, (typically the Daily Mail), like to sensationalise headlines to the contrary and before you know it, ALL ethnic minorities are against such a celebration.

I think we should celebrate it more and if the far right hadn't hijacked the flag many years ago people here probably would fly it more.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St George's Day

For anyone around on the 26th, time to get down to Salisbury, who know a thing or two about celebrating St George's Day!

visitwiltshire.co.uk/salisbury/what-to-do/ac…

(Please note, the festivities are on the 26th, and not the 20th as per that website, which is last year's but still linked if you go in via the tourist info website!)

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St George's Day

I can recall the time when the Evening Standard used to have vouchers on St George's that could be used in certain pubs to get a pint for 10p. That's a tradition that could be revived!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St George's Day

<<"Celebrating nationalism is frowned upon in the UK. You may find one or two English flags being flown defiantly but the powers that be wouldn't want anything upsetting other nationalities.">>

I'm not sure that is the case DiCanio. Which "powers that be" frown on national celebrations exactly?

Pepper has it right, unfortunately the likes of writers like "hell in a handcart" Littlejohn have made us believe that most minorities hate us celebrating out nationality. And in my experience, it's not the case... many expat Indians, Sri Lankans and Pakistanis that I have worked with would love to help us celebrate our national day, if only it existed per se.

As Pepper said, unfortunately the George's cross seems to have been appropriated by the extreme left including the BNP. I wish that were not the case.

It's not, and never will be St Patricks day, so we can forget any notions of it becoming such. That's a global phenomenon that just... well.. thrives somehow.

To the OP (Belle Vivre): Many pubs will celebrate St George's day, hanging up bunting, and doing promotions on typically English beers such as Bombardier, but it will never be a mad day like Paddys day is. Why not have a bit of a pub crawl around London and find ones that are particularly patriotic? It'll be fun. The link below may be of some use.

http://www.stgeorgesday.com/home