We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

The South
Level Contributor
63 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

I went to London in June 2008. Here are some things that helped me-

1. I purchased a great book on amazon.com for $11.04 called "Frommer's Best Day Trips from London: 25 Great Escapes by Train, Bus or Car". This book was great! It listed sites and activities to see in places that can be reached and enjoyed for a day such as Bath, Oxford, Canterbury, Stratford Upon Avon, etc. In fact, it was so detailed that it listed a wonderful guided walking in tour in Bath that I would not have known about otherwise called Jane Austen's Bath. It focused on her residences and settings for her novels. It's amazing how many places in Bath are still around that she used. The BEST thing about this book is it told you which London stations to go to for specific destinations, which train to take, when they left, how many ran a day, and how long the voyage would take. I never has to plan or map a London to X destination.

2. Get a Great British Heritage Pass. It will get you into many sites for the price of the card. If you see a lot, you can sae a lot. They don't list all their places that are covered, but you can contact them and they will tell you how to get a complete list.

3. If you will be taking a train, get a Britail Pass. You can get on and off trains as much as you like for the rate you paid before you left-a one time fee for so many days. This is good for those day trips out of London.

4. If you are departing from America, take British Airways. I took Delta a while back and it wasn't as nice for almost the same price. There was free alcohol, socks, eye patches, pillows, great bathroom access, and friendly staff.

5. Book your hotel a day in advance so that you will have a room ready when you arrive at your hotel. I have taken a trip to London twice with London Week with Trafalgar Tours and the room was always ready later in the day. You don't have the energy to site see due to jet lag. Having the room ready, means a more rested first day and being able to go out later in the day rested.

6. If you are going to be in London briefly, my must sees are Westminster Abbey because monarchs and famous people are buried there, Tower of London, and the British Museum. The British Museum has very famous artifacts in it. Big Ben and Parliament are a hop and a skip from Westminster Abbey.

7. Go to your local bank and get some pounds before you leave so you will have some money on hand before arrival. I took 100 pounds in paper money.

8. VERY IMPORTANT-Get travel insurance before you book anything. I used TravelEx. They cover you in case you get sick abroad. Also, if you can't go before the trip due to illness, a relative dies or gets sick, or something happens to your traveling companion, you are covered. Look at the plans and see what you want and what coverage you want. They say to never get insurance with the comppany who books you.

9. You can get MedJet Assist for overseas emergencies. If you were hit by a car, had a heart attack, had a fall and had to be in the hospital, this company will fly you to any hospital in the world of your choice. Check for fees and plans. It was pretty cheap when I got it. It would get you home when you need to go home.

10. Make sure you get an adapter for your hair dryers, etc. They don't use the same outlet types as the U.S.

11. Let your credit card companies and bank know you are going abroad so they will not stop charges for suspicious activities.

12. When choosing a hotel, ask if you can control the climate in your room. Some have limited control in air conditioned rooms and it can be horrible. Make sure you have your own ability to make your room cold and not slightly different. I learned this in a brand new hotel the hard way.

13. They didn't have free refills in most restaurants on sodas so ask for a glass of ice and then the soft drink in a separate glass. You'' get more.

14. Take a digital camera! You can see how well your photos turned out and if you need retakes. I got my camera for $100.00 and it was worth it! You also don't have to worry about the film turning out.

15. See a play! They have great theatre and many times with famous names! Look on British theatre sites for what's playing. You can do this in the evening after site seeing.

16. Try looking at packages for discounts and goodies like those with companies like Trafalgar Tours. This way, all the big stuff has been paid for before you arrive and you don't have to see to reservations and such.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,558 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

Great post Bedfordfallsgal!

Should be made a 'sticky'

It would help to stop a helluvaloadof repeat questions on TALF!!!

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

I agree this should be a sticky. So many people ask the same questions over and over and this covers a lot of those questions.

And I might have to check out that book about Day Trips - I'm trying to decide which places outside of London I'd like to visit next time around. Thanks for that tip.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

I second the vote for "Frommer's Best Day Trips from London." I found this book AFTER my trip last year (sadly), but next time I go, I plan to buy the latest copy of it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

There is also Frommer's Memorable walks in London. The first one I did was an enjoyable 3 hour stroll though Chelsea.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

Some good points, but:

4. There are several good airlines that go to London from the "United States".

7. Many smaller banks or bank branches in small towns do not have foreign currency on hand. It may take up to *six* weeks for a bank to order it in for you.

10. You are referring to the plug adapter. Depending upon the specific appliance, you may also need a voltage converter, or your appliance will blow up!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

Some good tips there, thank you. I saw that book in Waterstones yesterday and considered buying it, eventually I settled on the new version of "Fancy a pint" and the Time Out guide to eating, glutton that I am. It looked very useful though.

I agree about the currency thing, where possible I do usually try to take some local currency with me.. it's handy to have some in your pocket on arrival.

I also agree that it's madness to go with the travel insurance offered by whoever booked your trip. It's usually twice the price of other policies that can be found. I found my last travel insurance package through moneysupermarket, though I think that's a UK only site. Others are bound to have similar comparison websites specific to their countries.

As mentioned, be aware that voltages are different, not just the plug sockets. Many modern electrical items like laptops will handle it, but do check on the label to see what voltage the appliance will work on. Voltage converters are one solution, but buying a hairdryer once you arrive can be as cheap.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

Great advice and definitely let you bank/credit card companies know that you are traveling overseas. The last thing you want is a bank putting a hold on your card because they think someone stole it.

I would disagree with number 7 though. There are ATMs at all airports in the UK so you can get pounds as soon as you arrive and pay a lot less for them than you would in a bank in the US. Also, some US banks have agreements with UK banks so that you don't have to pay any ATM or f/x fees. Just my personal preference.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

lots of good advice for new and return travelers to England. I always take at least fifty pounds with me,for transportation and tipping when I arrive.

I also agree with #16. I did take a tour on one trip and enjoyed it very much. I like to pride myself on my ability to "go it alone",but sometimes,it is more fun to go with a group,so you can talk about what you are seeing.

hope to get back soon and use some of your tips.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

>> Voltage converters are one solution, but buying a hairdryer once you arrive can be as cheap.<<

US 110/115v to UK 220/230v converters are quite cheap. Going from UK to US converters are more expensive.

The South
Level Contributor
63 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I Went to London Less Than a Year Ago-TIPS

17. I want to add to my original list and say that I found some packages gave you so many days passes on the underground and a breakfast each morning at the hotel (usually breads and cereals and milk and juice and coffee). They also gave theatre tickets for an evening play. One was London Week with Trafalgar Tours. Always look for add on extras with travel packages.

18. Check with your health insurance company and make sure they will cover you abroad or give you your money back on illnesses. Check to be sure Medicare will cover you in a foreign country.

19. Take written perscriptions of medications in addition to medications.

20. If you are afraid to take the trains out of London on your own for day trips, look into companies like Evan Evans. They will give you a day guided tour on a comfortable touring bus. For example, one can take you to Bath and Stonhenge and Salisbury.

21. Have extra room in luggage for bringing back items you've bought.