We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Books on London

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Books on London

I've just come across this book, don’t know if any of you have read it and can comment, but its highly acclaimed with rave reviews (see link)

Peter Ackroyd: London - The Biography

www.randomhouse.co.uk/minisites/london/

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,388 Reviews
from US$125.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,148 Reviews
from US$128.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
540 Reviews
from US$113.40*
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Books on London

I have found the DK books to be the best. I have purchased one for every country I have ever visited. They are well illustrated and have lots of photographs to help you remember your trip. The maps are excellent as well. They even allow you to take a peek at the book online

dk.com/static/…intro.html

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Books on London

Yes yes yes, brilliant.

Really really informative, gives you a great sense of the history of some places / things that often get overlooked. A lot of what he says about the "feeling" of London really rang true with me. Not really a guide book by any stretch of the imagination, but fantastic background reading, and it points out a few little bits here and there that you might not otherwise know about.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Books on London

indeed, but this isnt a Tourist Guide book but a complete history of, including folklore, of London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Books on London

sorry Vicki, my last post was replying to Luv2.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Books on London

I own Ackroyd's book; while I haven't read it through, I have dipped into it on numerous occasions. It sits on the shelf beside Roy Porter's "London: a Social History", also worth reading.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Books on London

Bojangles - If you are looking for a guidebook...DK has this one

…dk.com/nf/…00.html

Then the other is a picture book which can also be used as a guide book ... then eventually a souvenir. I learned a lot from these books before I ever set foot in any of the countries that I visited. Before I went to London, I knew exactly where I wanted to stay, the places I wanted to visit and all the information that I needed to know about all of these places. As well, I found the maps extremely useful.

…dk.com/nf/…00.html

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Books on London

I have read a few of the DK books. I love them when I first start looking at a place, to get an idea of the different areas, what's there, etc.

But when it comes to using it as a guidebook, I find them lacking. The details are vague, and maps aren't detailed enough.

The pictures are great, though!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Books on London

luv2travel, unless I've badly misunderstood things, bojangles isn't looking for a guide book, just pointing out that "London - the Biography" is a really good book about London...

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Books on London

Vicki!

I think that you are right. Thanks so much for correcting me.