We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Heartfelt Plea

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
A Heartfelt Plea

It has saddened me to read some of the recent posts regarding both political and non-political subjects. May I make a request for two things:

1) We tone down our abuse and language. However strongly we feel about something, it does this forum no favours when abuse becomes personal or when bad language is used for the sake of it.

2) We try to keep our political opinions to ourself. I know this is difficult and I don’t want to prevent lively discussions about topics that are relevant to both London and the experience of travel (indeed they are an important part of the Forum) but I feel there is a danger of both putting newbies off (relevant to point 1 as well) and of causing friendships to be broken if we allow our political feelings to surface in an otherwise non-partisan forum.

Through Tripadvisor and the London Forum I have been lucky enough to meet several wonderful new people, in person as well as in cyberspace, and I sincerely hope that will continue. I would also stress that these are my personal thoughts.

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

Point well made Adam-I hope the 'regulars' and lurkers both take heed.

I am one of the first to be frustrated by some of the queries. I'm attempting to become more tolerant-not venting on the site.

I was particularly upset of the personal attacks which I found outrageous.

Let's all get along and answer to the best of our abilities.

A hearty thank you to AdamH for posting this and for his insightful answers and advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

Adam - well said.

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

You've said it very well Adam! One thing I was always told by my employers (being in sales) never venture into debates about politics, religion or sport - gets very very messy!!!!

PS: Hey, you're in Watford - 10 minutes down the road from me! lol...

Eva

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

"causing friendships to be broken if we allow our political feelings to surface in an otherwise non-partisan forum."

Are you still upset with me about Vicarage Road? ;)

Seriously though, hear hear, especially re the political debate. There are too many people can't resist getting personal when politics are being discussed....

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

"Are you still upset with me about Vicarage Road? ;)"

Not at all Vicki - I may even buy you a pint tomorrow if you can make it.

Eva,

I'm guessing Harrow area but may be wrong?

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
883 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

Well said Adam - I agree.

As always, your thoughts are eloquent and valid. :)

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

Thank you for the reminder, Adam.

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

Hi Adam,

'guessing Harrow area but may be wrong' - yes you are!!!

I know my profile says London but more out of habit as I grew up in the sunny Stonebridge/Harlesden area however, I bought a house a couple of years ago in Hemel and worked alot in Watford...

Being in Watford, I'm sure you can understand why I don't put hemel on my profile LOL!!!!

Eva

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

Adam, well said. The main reason I left another travel forum was I was really tired of the rude, personal attacks on people who were just trying to get information. I was criticized by some people because I stay in the suburbs when I visit London.

I agree that we should keep our political viewpoints off the forum. There are plenty of other places to discuss that. I want to keep our forum as civilized and friendly as possible. As I noted on an earlier thread, most people I know have never been to London let alone share my passion. This is why this forum is part of my everyday routine.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Heartfelt Plea

I agree with Adam. Keep politics out of the Forum, however difficult it is not to vent! On the other hand, I love reading other people's opinions about places to see, hotels, etc.. I may not always agree with them and if they upset me, I just don't reply. Ditto for those who don't know how/refuse to/are too lazy to use the search function. If I'm royally p**d off, I don't reply. If I just marginally upset, I tell them how to use the search function. After all, there's the old adage, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Show a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. However, I really admire those who reply to the same questions over and over. I wish I had that much patience.