We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

Well, actually not my first time. I was there in 1977 as part of a high school trip. Anyway, my wife and I will have three days in London in Mid May and I am overwhelmed with the choices of hotels and locations of them.

Basically we want to be somewhere convenient to a tube station and also to one of the buses that continuously runs around the city so we can jump on and off to see different things.

I just saw a good deal on for the soon to re-open, fully refurbished Kensington Hotel in South Kensington for $144/night. Question, is this area for what we want to do? Would we have to walk far to a tube station? I am open to any suggestions and would like to keep the price to under $150 USD per night.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Upon completion of the trip I'll post a review.

Dave

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,167 Reviews
London, UK
South Kensington
South Kensington
298 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,124 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
510 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

Have stayed in-

Trafalgar Sq, Northumberland Ave

Holborn

Russell Sq

All have good tube and bus links.

Check out-www.hoteldirect.com and www.lastmin.com

Mentioned in this post
Holborn
Holborn
61 Reviews
London, UK
Northumberland
Northumberland
England, UK
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

Hi,

Seems to me there are two Kensington Hotel. Do you mean The Kensington Hotel (formerly Jurys Kensington Hotel)‎ on 109-113 Queen’s Gate, South Kensington, London, SW7 5LR?

Or..

Kensington Hotel‎ on 2-10 Harrington Rd, London, Greater London, SW7 3EP‎ ?

The first one seems decent and have received great customer review. Location is perfect, very near to South Kensington Station (tube) where you can also catch the bus to many parts of London.

See the bus route here:

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…southkensington-2236.pdf

It is also walking distance to Natural History Museum (very cool!), Science Museum, V&A Museum, even to Knightsbridge (for Harrods and shopping).

I say take it! (if its the first hotel). The hotel on 2-10 Harrington Rd, London, Greater London, SW7 3EP‎ is rather dodgy though.. no customers' review!

Mentioned in this post
Knightsbridge
Knightsbridge
225 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,167 Reviews
London, UK
The Harrington
The Harrington
299 Reviews
London, UK
South Kensington
South Kensington
298 Reviews
London, UK
Harrods
Harrods
14,569 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Greater London
Greater London
England, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,841 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

London is so spread out yet with excellent public transport so that pretty much anywhere inside the Circle (yellow) tube line as well as a few places just outside can be considered central where you can get pretty much anywhere else within 30 minutes by bus, tube or foot.

That doesn't actually make your choice any easier although a budget of $150 does rather limit you. With that in mind the Kensington may well be a good choice. It's only just reopened so I haven't yet seen any reviews but the location is excellent with South Kensington tube station (three lines including the Piccadilly line that will get you to Heathrow in 45 minutes) just a five minute walk away. You are also close to a number of decent restaurants as well as the three great South Kensington museums.

Hope that helps a little.

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,167 Reviews
London, UK
South Kensington
South Kensington
298 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

Thanks Kirsty26, Primarosa and Adamhornets! Such prompt and good info. It is the Kensington Hotel on Queens Gate. The rate is a three nights for two and a promotional one at that since they are just reopening according to their site. Sounds like I may grab that one. We are arriving by ship (QM2) on a trans-atlantic crossing from NY to Southampton. The rest of the family is continuimg on the ship for two weeks but I can't take any more time away from work so I thought a few days in London would be nice before flying back.

Thanks again for the assistance!!

Dave

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,167 Reviews
London, UK
The Queen's Gate Hotel
The Queen's Gate Hotel
1,075 Reviews
London, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
cumbria
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

Hi Dave

We stayed at the Edwardian Grafton Hotel, 130 Tottenham Court Road,the service was brill, hotel lovely and we got a great deal, it was a great location right outside the doors was a bus stop and warren st tube station was nearly next door.

The tube was easy to use and was 1 or 2 stops to most of the popular attractions from warren st.

Also madame tussards was a 10 min walk away.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

jenni

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

I've stayed at the Luna and Simone House several times over the past 10 yrs. About a 10 minute walk from Victoria tube station, and on the bus route.

It's a b&b, but there are rooms with private bath. No elevator so if you have knee problems as I do, ask for a room downstairs by the b'fast room.

On the last few visits there were 3 of us in a triple room with bath, for around 100 pounds with full b'fast.

Mentioned in this post
Luna & Simone Hotel
Luna & Simone Hotel
2,145 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

I would go for the Kensington. Very good location - minutes from S Ken tube. Part of a groups with high standards to maintain. Accessible to rest of tourist London, recently refurbished. The rates you've mentioned are a steal. Also good for local cafes and restaurants and grocery stores for some cheaper catering options.

I am staying there myself courtesy of an industry promotion but sadly will not be able to post a review till after you've been.

Hope it goes well and do post.

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,167 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
8. Re: First timer in London - Hotels/Locations questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 18:23