We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Pubs Required

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Good Pubs Required

In London On the 14th for AC/DC gig at 02, arrive Euston mid-day the getting tube. Northern Line to London Bridge then Jubilee to Greenwich (02).

Can anyone recommend a few good pubs on this route to stop a sample a few good beers.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Pubs Required

What are you looking to sample, some real ales from London brewers maybe? Or not fussy?

london
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Pubs Required

I prefer to get the travelling out of the way before starting on the ales so Greenwich would be my choice. I suggest The Trafalgar Tavern which is just a short walk down the river past the Old Naval College.

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Pubs Required

Real Ales always first choice

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Pubs Required

The Market Porter in Borough market is only a minute or two from London bridge station and serves tip top ales and great food. It's a proper old "boozer" too. plus you've got the added bonus of Borough Market right outside the door with loads of good food!!!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Pubs Required

The Market Porter is a good shout, and you also have the Rake on Winchester Walk around Borough Market too. They have some really wierd and wonderful real ale choices that change all the time. It's a tiny pub, but if the weather's nice there is seating outside. The Horniman at Hays is a massive pub right on the Thames at Hays galleria, not a classic, (it's a bit "Wetherspoon-ey") but it does do a handful of real ales and the view is nice, overlooking HMS Belfast.

Around Euston things are a bit more sparse, though if you are looking to eat there are 2 good choices: The Prince Arthur on Eversholt Street (up the East side of Euston station) is nice, as is the Somers Town Coffee house on Chalton Street. Both of them are quite smart pubs that lean towards "gastropub" food. For a quick pint, you might want to stop into the Doric Arch right on the front of Euston station, it's not too bad at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Pubs Required

As you say, The Horniman is a bit "cityslicker" for me. I prefer the proper boozers!! Also try the Old Kings Head just down Borough High Street.

Here you go:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Borough

I'll have to try The Rake next time I'm up in London... I've walked past it lots of times, but never ventured in!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Pubs Required

The Pilot on the Greenwich peninsula - about 10 mins walk from the Dome - is a decent Fullers pub (London Pride and ESB). Not sure how busy it gets on concert nights.

The pubs in Greenwich centre are a 20-minute bus ride away from teh Dome.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Pubs Required

Forgot to say ... if you decide to go to the pubs in central Greenwich, don't take the Jubilee line, as that doesn't stop anywhere particularly convenient for the centre. Instead, take a railway train from London Bridge railway station to Greenwich or Maze Hill (the Plume Of Feathers on Park Vista near Maze Hill station is quite good).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Pubs Required

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…

Surprised no-one's mentioned the George Inn, in Borough High st. Free entrance, even if you are not a National Trust member. A bargain!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Pubs Required

One more vote for the George Inn, my second favourite pub in London!