We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

tampa, fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

Will be in London in July, the play "a dolls house" will be playing at the Donmar and we hope to see. Could someone advise on "good" seating there and overall advice that would be helpfull. The play has Not opened, but I want to make sure I don't miss it. Will email them direct, but IF some one can advise as to whether you think the play will be a good seller, I'd appreciate. Just checking to see how anxious I need to be, ha. Deb

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
986 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

It has a stellar cast, so I think this will sell out early. Use theatremonkey.com to study seating plans.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

Seating advice:

http://theatremonkey.com/DONMARbooking.htm

Since it stars Gillian Anderson, I imagine it's selling well. I'd book tickets ASAP.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

It's probably sold out already, given the stellar cast and the venue itself (small but very presitigious). Try booking online via the Donmar web site and see if you can find anything. The upstairs side seats are not great but you'll get a great view of the top of the actors' heads. Good luck.

(This is a new version of Ibsen's "A Doll's House", transposed to late-19th century London)

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

The best way to get tickets at Donmar's is to be on their mailing list, I'm afraid. The theater is small and the casting is generally so stellar, by the time a play is public knowledge it sells out VERY quickly. Check their website and either take what may still be available, go through a ticket broker, or a top hotel's concierge.

T

tampa, fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

Thanks for the advice, I will try and order tomorrow. I had date changes and that led to trying to get later than I probably should have.

IF tickets are pretty much gone, is ther still a co or agency that would have tickets, cost being higher I realize ???? Thanks

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

If the performances are sold out, I think it is highly unlikely you'll get tickets from another source. When Nicole Kidman appeared there a few years ago, at the height of her marriage to Tom Cruise, there were touts outside every night and tickets changed hands for hundreds of pounds it was said. (This was largely due to the fact that she appeared in the buff in one scene!) I doubt that Gillian Anderson has the same kind of star appeal for the average London theatregoer. Also, there has been a clamp-down on touts. However, that said, the Donmar holds back a few tickets for sale on the day of each performance. These include standing places. Check the Donmar web site for details.

tampa, fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

Londinense, about the "touts" or scalpers - is there a way to tell legitimate tickets from counterfiet?? And would some concierges at hotels be able to get tickets as some guide books say? I am just hoping some ticket agents, brokers, etc. will still have bought some up to re-sell. I'll be able to see the play between july 8 - 17, so I am going to call the Donmar,other sources. It does seem like it will be hard, but at this point I WOULD pay hundreds for a couple of tickets. This trip to London with my sister is a big deal for me, and we're not wealthy by a long shot,(lower middleclass is closer) but I really want to see the play and have the "west end" experience ! Thanks for your help and advice, I will post IF I score some seats! Best to all, debbie

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

Debbie: Good luck with your search for tickets. As someone with several decades' theatregoing experience, I would never advise buying from a tout. And nor does the official London theatre web site. Too risky. However, once the show has opened, the theatre itself should be able to advise you what time to be there in advance of the box office opening to snap up a day seat. Standing in line for an hour or two in the morning can actually be quite fun if the weather is OK, since you'll soon get into conversation with other keen theatregoers.

Ms Anderson has appeared on the London stage before, so is already a veteran. Further star casting in classical roles in July: Jude Law's Hamlet (Donmar West End) and Helen Mirren's Phèdre (National Theatre). Both sold out too!

tampa, fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

Great advice Lon, I appreciate your kindness. What ever I do in London will be brilliant ! Just want it to be be best experiences I can. Having my lovely sister with me is the best part. I was in London 30 years ago and saw Evita (super) and for fun, got to see a pretty good performance of Little Foxes, with Elizabeth Taylor, no less. You should have seen the opera glasses go up when she first appeared on stage! I think the Brits are even more star crazy than American's, if possible!! I remember there was a new musical in town, but I skipped it. It was Lloyd Weber's newest hit, hadn't been to Broadway yet. I think it was Phantom, but forget. Thanks again, deb

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Donmar Warehouse theatre ques

There should be lots of excellent theatre when you come, and you shouldn't need to pay hundreds of pounds. I think this production is almost sold out judging by the website, but try The Old Vic or National Theatre if you want good theatre rather than mass appeal musicals. For more serious musicals, 'A Little Night Music' is on until 25th July and has had excellent reviews.