We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

Hello

My husband and I are travelling to London on Friday May 15th. It is going to cost a fortune by train and we are only an hour out london up the A1 so I am wondering where we can park that is nearer and possibly just get a tube?

Some people have suggested driving to cock fosters, but not sure this is plausible on a weekday?

We will be going into London about 10am and out at about 10/11pm.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

Bex

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

I think you'll struggle to find any parking at a tuibe station at that time of the morning. Leaving so late also makes it difficult, as parking is generally retsricted to max 4 hrs unless you use one of the multistorey carparks. That may still be your best bet. We paid £10 for 6hrs yesterday, so I guess you're looking at about £15-20 for 12hrs. Still cheaper than 2 rail tickets I guess?

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
88 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

Possibly the wrong side of town for you, but we always park at Richmond and they charge £8 for 24hr. Never had any problems weekdays or weekends, even when there's been rugby at Twickenham.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

Cockfosters is probably as good as any. There are 430 spaces and it only costs £3.20 for the day. Fridays tend to be less busy so you may well get lucky and find a space at 10.00am but there's no guarantee. Stanmore on the Jubilee line would be my other suggestion.

tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/…default.aspx

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

The other suggestion that I often make to people is to park in Edgware. We have Broadwalk shopping centre that does have a commuters car park - think the charge if you can get a space is about £3.00 per day, otherwise in the main car park it will cost about £7 or £8 - can't remember exact figure.

From there it is a couple of minutes walk to Edgware tube station which is at the end of the Northern Line and you can get into Central London in about 45 mins.

If interested in this option, message me and I will give exact directions from Apex Corner on the A1, which is a few miles south of the exit with the M25.

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions..

I think we may have to do a "recci" (sp?) it'd be really bad if we turned up at one of these places and couldn't get a space!

Gil

I am interested in that option, do you think we'd get a space? Also do you think it will be open late enough for us to come back around 11 and I suppose I'd have to find out if the trains are actually running that late?

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

I will be in shopping centre tomorrow so will check how late you can collect car. If you don't get space in commuter car park, you will get one in main one - you have to drive past main one to get to commuter one.

The last tube doesn't leave central London until well after midnight, so you won't have a problem.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

In my experience you can usually find a space at Cockfosters any time of day - I've parked there in the late morning before without any hassles

As mentioned, Stanmore and Edgware aren't too bad either. There's all day parking for £4 in some of the streets around Golders Green, too (on the Hampstead side, near the park at the bottom of the heath) which you can usually find some space in

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

Hi Gil

I have checked the train time and apparently there are works going on, and theres a train about 10 then the next ones not til midnight.. so not sure its such a great idea!

Any ideas if it's plausible to actually park somewhere in London?

Becky

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

> It is going to cost a fortune by train <

I don't know which station you would use, but you should be able to get a walk-up off-peak return from Bedford for £28.

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking near London for day trip (on a weekday)

We'll be travelling from Stevenage or a couple of stations up.. which for travel cards for the both of us on is about £45.. which in my eyes for 1/2 hr journey is a fortune!

I may be being a skin flint.. but surely there's got to be a cheaper way!