We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Hotel Locations - need help

boston, ma
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
London Hotel Locations - need help

I would like to stay in an area that is convenient to the Metro, sightseeing, shopping and restaurants and cafes. I will probably be bidding on Priceline. Their location categories are:

1,Bloomsbury - Marble Arch

2 Finsbury and Islington

3 Hammersmith

4 Kensington

5 London Docklands

6 Mayfair - Soho

7 Notting Hill - Bayswater

8 Regents Park - Baker Street

9 The City and London Bridge

10 Westminster

Which of these locations would be most convenient? Thanks for the help.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

Some of those categories don't even make sense! I can see what they're trying to do, string the various locations out into strips, but still!

Stay in either Bloomsbury, Kensington, Mayfair, Bayswater, or Notting hill. Don't stay in "the City", Docklands, or Hammersmith. You'll be miles from anywhere. Finsbury and Islington are a way out too, but at least they are nice and on good transport links.

By the way, we don't have a Metro in London. Only a tube. ;-) All of those neighbourhoods above are pretty good for the tube, shops, and sights, depending of course on where exactly you stay. It can vary.

London, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

What I do know is about a hotel in Kensington wich is very active on the secret buy options on internet. I use it myself (did so this easter) but not on Priceline, they don't serve Norway.

Anyway, this hotel is accuratly 200 yards from The Glousester Road Tubestation, wich is served by 3 lines. Great value stay when on offer.

New Orleans, La
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

What would be wrong with Westminster?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

Just wanted to say that you can pretty much safely figure out what hotel you'll get on these sites at betterbidding.com. I bid recently and got the hotel I expected to get at a very good rate in a good neighborhood - close to two tube (a.k.a underground) stations.

Just about any central area is fine to get anywhere you'll want to go. Enjoy your trip!

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

I agree with Sealon. I too got our hotel on a deal however it was through Hotwire. If you go to betterbidding.com there are pinned hotel lists of known priceline and hotwire hotels. Also when you go to hotwire they often tell you the tripadvisor rating and how many ratings the particular hotel on offer has had. You can then figure out for yourself pretty much what hotel you are bidding for. A great way to save a bunch of dough IMO.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

Some good hotels come up in the "City" zone, so I would not rule that one out (for example, the Hilton Tower Bridge is reported occasionally as a Priceline win). Likewise, the Islington zone has shown some good wins (usually the Hilton Islington). I don't think any of the hotels that show up on PL in Islington are far out from anywhere (no more so than Nottinghill). A few recent bid wins in Islington actually came up with a hotel that is in the City (I don't recall the name, but looking through the betterbidding forum will get you that info). I have tend to bid in Kensington and in the Regent Park zone, but really like the Bloomsbury one--but usually rooms are more expensive there than in other zones. These days I prefer Hotwire as it is easier to figure out what hotel one is likely to get. I don't recommend bidding lower than a 4* on PL. Hotwire has different star ratings, so lower star levels can be good on Hotwire.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

Bloomsbury is a good area to base yourself for your stay.

Check out-www.hoteldirect.com and www.lastmin.com for hotels too.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

Islington & Finsbury just the next area along from Bloombury. Just one stop along from KingsX & a few bus stops up the hill.

Islington like a small town up the hill from the throbbing hub of central London - not as smart or exquistitely villagy as Highgate or Hampstead, but the area has some architectural merits (Georgian terraces), more cafes & restaurants (eat out somewhere sifferent every night for a month etc)& excellent transport links (tubes & buses) into central London & the City.

Finsbury not to be confused with Finsbury Park. Totally different areas & several miles apart - in many ways.

Islington has the Islington Hilton (tells you just how rough the areas is) & Jurys Inn.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

I absolutely loved staying at the Hilton Islington when I won it on a Priceline bid. I really enjoyed exploring the neighborhood, and on that trip, I was going to a lot of City and Clerkenwell sights as part of Open House London weekend, so the location was very convenient as well.

At the time, it was quite easy to target the Hilton Islington, as it was Priceline's only 4* hotel in the Finsbury & Islington zone. In recent months, PL has added the Crowne Plaza Shoreditch as a 4* in this zone. This hotel is quite a bit further east than I would ideally like to be, although I've thought it might be nice to be there on a weekend, and be so close to Columbia Rd Flower Market, Brick Lane, etc.

I echo the recommendations to check out the hotel list on betterbidding.com. Also check biddingfortravel.com.

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Hotel Locations - need help

Hi:

We just returned from a 16-day trip to London and southwest England. We used PriceLine to reserve 5 nights at the beginning of the trip and 2 nights at the end of our trip. I used biddingfortravel.com, as I always do, to scope out which hotels are accepting bids in the various London "districts" - and at what amounts - and we jumped when we saw the nH Harrington Hall accepting offers between $55 and $60. Our $60 bids were accepted for both stays and, all in all, we had a very pleasant stay at the Harrington Hall. The hotel's Kensington location is absolutely terrific: less than 5 minutes from the Gloucester Road tube station, which includes the Circle, District, and Piccadilly tube lines. (We will be writing a positive hotel review soon; while nothing is perfect and we had some minor issues, hotel management was extremely responsive, and we would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.) And we will always try to stay in this area; it was perfect for us. It's about a 15-minute walk to Kensington Garden and a 10/12-minute walk to Earl's Court Road. And all of the museums and sights are within convenient access on the tube.