We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

Daly City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

Years ago when I visited the UK the hottest broadway show was Mama Mia, saw it and loved it!

OK, so fast forward to 2 yrs later since I've seen Mama Mia; my boss at the time, was raving about this show he got free tickets to. He's never seen it and he kept going on and on telling me about it. I listened and finally said, 'Oh Yeah, I've seen it in London when it first came out with the original cast...' he was so embarassed because it was in front of his colleagues who laughed at him (he's got the Mr. Know-it-All I'm the only privileged one who gets to do fun stuff syndrome).

OK point of the story?! I need good show recomendations that will come to the US years later and have someone rant about it and me saying, 'oh yea...seen it1'

any input fellow trip advisor will be much appreciated :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

I am in London right now and have seen 10 shows since Apr 3rd with 3 more to go plus a repeat (see below) before I leave on the 19th.

The best rated musicals currently showing are:

1. Spring Awakening which just opened in the West End (it won many Tonys on Broadway last year). My vote is 5*;

2. La Cage aux Folles, which won the 2008 Olivier for Best Revival. Loved it...seeing it again before I leave;

3. A Little Night Music, which will be in the running for the 2009 Olivier Best Revival I'm sure. Can't fit it in unfortunately;and

4. The "Mamma Mia equivalent" you're looking for, Priscilla Queen of the Desert The Musical which is an import from Australia. It just opened and has received very strong reviews and I am seeing it on Friday......over the top and as gay as pink ink, they say!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

I should add that the London casts of both Jersey Boys (2008 Olivier Best New Musical) and Hairspray (2007 Olivier Best New Musical) are very strong.

If you like old school musicals, Hairspray is fun. Jersey Boys, altho a 'jukebox musical' has an excellent book and if you haven't seen it , it's one of the best shows in London.

Daly City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

That is awesome! I will definitely see a couple of your suggestions! take care!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

Does it have to be a musical? London has many opportunities to see non-muiscal plays with excellent actors.

I can certainly recommend 'A Little Night Music' if it is a musical you want.

London, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

How about Priscilla, Queen of the Desert? It's an amazing show and if you can see it with the original cast, even better.

http://www.priscillathemusical.com/

Sister Act opens soon too, if you like nuns.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

I was going to mention Sister Act the musical, from what I understand opening in London then Broadway US. I see it on 9 May so will report back.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

Sunset Bulavard-is Fab, great cast and music.

On at the Comedy Theatre.

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

Glad you enjoyed Sunset Boulevard Kirsty, did you see the original about 14 years ago, it was brilliant, saw it 3 times. Sorry to hijack the thread.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

probably the hottest ticket now is "waiting for godot" not much singing though but there is a bit of whistling and some monor humming

lyon
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hottest Show in London (at the moment...)

any comments on :

-we will rock you

-grease

i plan to got with GF for a show during our trip ( we are both 25 years old if this can help in the decision)