We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

tampa, fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

I am coming to London in July for 10 days. My sister and I will probably stay a week in London, with about 3 days spent in countryside. I've looked mainly in the areas of:

Belgravia

Westminster

Victoria

St James (probably can't afford)

My price range is around $175 - 200 USD a night and those areas have some TALF favorites. I stayed in Belgravia 29 years ago, before the British real estate tax skyrocketed, and actually paid for a single basic room, w/bath in hall. It was very clean, convenient and friendly hosts. I paid 16 pounds a night, down to 8 when I got weekly rate. Included a small, cooked breakfast. I'd say the same would be around 60 pounds a night now.

I thought the Belgravia was close to a lot of sites and I walked a lot. I'm older and want to be as centrally located as I can and meet my budget.

I ealize that London has evolved since I was there.

Do you think Belgravia is still a good location? Or the other areas ?Thanks for your insight, I'm using this forum to make my trip as memorable as I can. Deb

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,309 Reviews
London, UK
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,327 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

> before the British real estate tax skyrocketed <

What real estate tax is this? Do you mean the stamp duty of private house sales? I don't see how that would affect hotel prices.

More likely it is just ordinary property inflation that has affected prices. If we've averaged a 10% increase per year over the last 29 years, you'd expect prices now to be 16 times what they were then, so your £16 pn would now be £256.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,462 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

Yes, Belgravia/Victoria is well suited for transportation, restaurants, cafés, and shops. You may have stayed on Ebury Street, which has loads of B&Bs, some much better than others. However, you won't find anything decent for £60 unless you get a good deal at a Travelodge. Have a look at the Accommodation section of the London FAQs sticky at the top of the Forum page for info about how best to get a good budget hotel.

A few things to try - Travelzoo has weekly offers for London hotels that are usually worth checking out. Interestingly, this week's offer is at the Bloomsbury Hotel, which I'm checking out for colleagues tomorrow. Details here:

uk.hotels.travelzoo.com/london-hotels/568790…

Another thing you may want to consider is the Bulldog Club, where you stay in a London home rather than a hotel. The homes are located in the best parts of London (and anything within the Circle Line of the Tube is central), include breakfast, and are an elegant way of staying in London at a price that would be unaffordable if it were a hotel. I used to use them a lot (before moving south), and forum users who have used them lately have been very pleased.

http://bulldogclub.com/home.html

Mentioned in this post
Ebury Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ebury Restaurant & Wine...
424 Reviews
London, UK
The Forum
The Forum
124 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
The Bloomsbury
The Bloomsbury
3,549 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

This area is fine but probably wouldn't be the first district that would come into most people's mind watching their budget.

However, if you stayed there 30 years ago I guess it would be nice to stay in the same area and see how it has evolved.

Single rooms are hard to come by, but you have a decent budget of about 125 GBP.

The Luna and Simone B&B is in the east of this district in Pimlico, but have two attentive brothers as hosts who would look after you very well.

Another hotel known for single travellers is the Darlington Hyde Park in Paddington - not as elegant as Belgravia but just as central.

Mentioned in this post
Luna & Simone Hotel
Luna & Simone Hotel
2,152 Reviews
London, UK
Pimlico
Pimlico
96 Reviews
London, UK
The Darlington Hyde Park
The Darlington Hyde Park
2,256 Reviews
London, UK
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
tampa, fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

Thanks All: The tax I was refering to was around the time PM Thatcher raised a tax that did affect housing, how specific to commercial properties, I'm not sure. My Brit friends felt the policies then did make real estate values skyrocket. It just seemed to come about at one time, perhaps I'm in error, not trying to be an expert,but London was at one time one of the most affordable international cities for travel expense. Sorry if I misrepresented.

Sorry for the orig length of post, I am traveling with sister, so we will spend more than 60 gbp, just using it as an example of type hotel I got THEN. My budget now is the aformentioned 175-200 USD amount, thank goodness! lol

I will use the info from this post, thanks to Nick, theatgirl and hanfordr - I investigate all the info you have offered, good post!! thanks, deb p.s. I love Britain, the people, the history, culture, etc and I soooo look forward to coming.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

Hi, Belgravia is still a wonderful and safe area to stay, I've been in and out of "our" B & B at 113 Ebury St. (The Lynton House Hotel) since 1982 and plan on another stay this November. I would check out the area again.... There's also a new little Pub down the street now called the Belgravia....

Happy Travels!

Mentioned in this post
Ebury Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ebury Restaurant & Wine...
424 Reviews
London, UK
6. Re: Advise on my Hotel area ideas-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 04:19