We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

Hello :)

We are looking for a nice, quick and affordable lunch at Portobello market. Do you have any suggestions?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

Depends which end of Portobello Road you will be at by lunchtime, but if you're at the Northern end (i.e. away from Notting Hill Gate) then Toms Delicatessen on Westbourne Grove is very popular, Books For Cooks on Portobello Road itself is good (though you need to get there early, it's small and it sells out of a lot of dishes by about 1pm) and if you are right up the North end, (in the Spanish expat area) then there is Uncle's Cafe, Cafe Garcia, and even further on, Galicia (A tapas place) all on Portobello Road.

If you are down the South End, there are less imaginitive (though by no means bad) places to eat, a Pizza Express, ASK, Apostrophe, a branch of EAT, and a Feng Sushi which isn't bad, all near NHG tube station.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

You'll see lots of options when you're there. At the Ladbroke Grove end last week I saw a crepe stall, a hog roast, sausage shop, S&M cafe, falafel shop. And there are various smarter cafes. I'd just see what grabs your fancy.

Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

Thanks for the tips.

I can see we won't starve :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

CanucksTraveller72, thanks for the suggestions. I was also on the lookout for a lunch spot in Notting Hill Gate. Tom’s Delicatessen sounds like a place I’d like.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

I can second Tom's - delicious food - we had a late breakfast there and the pancakes were amazing. Pastries looked good too, you will certainly be spoilt for choice there!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

Just down the street from Tom's is one of my favorite places to eat in London: Ottolenghi, on Ledbury Rd. just off Westbourne Grove, which has the most amazing salads and cakes. The Notting Hill branch of Ottolenghi is meant mainly for takeaway; there's a table in the back that seats at most a dozen people, and it's always filled to capacity.

www.ottolenghi.co.uk

Also love Books for Cooks and Cafe Garcia.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

Also there's the Earl of Lonsdale at 277 Westbourne Grove which has a nice menu and an attractive beer garden:

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub213.html

Paris, France
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

OK, I’ll aim for lunch at Tom’s and then get takeaway from Ottolenghi for my evening meal back at the hotel (base2stay with a small kitchen)!

Books for Cooks looks good too but I don’t want to be rushed to get there early. Books for Cooks is mentioned in the “Nouvel Obs” (a French weekly) this week. Part of a feature article on London, listing hot spots, exhibitions, shopping. They say that despite the economic situation, London is more vibrant and innovative than ever and that with the pound so low, it’s THE place to go! ;-)

9. Re: light lunch at Portobello market, Notting Hill Gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 23:16