We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On ine Currency Exchange

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
On ine Currency Exchange

A cautionary tale.

If you are not on the UK electoral role, it seems that you are unable to take advantage of Travelex On-Line currency ordering service.

My wife, who happens to be a US citizen, tho resident here for 10 years had her Maestro card rejected by Travelex system. Upon querying as to the reason why this was the case, we were told that this was due to the fact that the card could not be verified to our home address.

One wonders what would happen if you happened to move a month or so before you went on holiday. Would you have to put down your previous address ?

Please note that changing money is an integral part of travel so this has to be considered a travel related post

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
1. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 April 2009, 22:27
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,960 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

Steve,

I appreciate from reading your posts elsewhere that you are upset but although the point you make may indeed be travel related I genuinely don't see how it is relevant to the London forum.

3. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 April 2009, 16:19
london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

Hi Adam

It is related to the London forum simply cos the Travelex in question happened to be the one at Heathrow Terminal 3.

If you can suggest somewhere more relevant to post this, I would gladly do so.

I am simply trying to flag up an issue that could pose a problem for TA members

5. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

6. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,960 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

Steve,

I don't think anyone coming from abroad would use this service hence it not being London related IMO. Most of us would certainly not recommend it to visitors.

Probably the airline forum would be the best place but even then you would have to title the thread so that you attracted people to whom the information might be useful.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

Seems like they have now decided that this is a matter that can be discussed

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

I am a British citizen who has not lived in Britain for a long time, and who wouldn't be on the electoral roll, so it would apply to me perhaps? I know of a dozen or so people -- just acquaintances who might be in the same position.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On ine Currency Exchange

OK Steve, I'll bite. The TV's a bit boring.

So, what did your wife do in the end? Go somewhere else? Buy it face to face? orwhat?

<<< One wonders what would happen if you happened to move a month or so before you went on holiday. Would you have to put down your previous address ?>>>

Personally, I would have taken my custom to on of the several hundred competing currency services available.

(I see you have dropped the r@cism charge against Travelex - smart move!)