We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burbank
Level Contributor
342 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

Me again. Next month I am coming to England and my plan was to rent a car for the first 12 days then London for 11 days. (Thus thus the Halloween question) and now I hear there is going to be a gas price protest and people are now hoarding gas and stations are going empty!

I'm still in stand-by mode, I dont leave for another 5 weeks and hopefully things will settle down by then. Does anyone know how long the actual protest is supposed to go on for..I think a couple days? Also there were not plans to literally barracade the flow of gas trucks making deliveries. It seems a panic buying situation created by consumers.

I'll check back on this thread to see if anyone posts any updates or info..oh, and Im not looking for negative speculation...strictly facts and encouragement when there is some as I have a good deal of time and money invested in this vacation.

Thanks! :)

Cynthia

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

According to the news today the demonstrations are not blocking any of the fuel depots and the tankers are deliverying as normal. I think there was some isolated panic buying in some areas - but I think that will stop. Everything will be fine for your trip :)

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

Relax.

It's 3 day protest & soon the UK will realise that sitting in a queue to top a tank up 'just a bit' is a waste of time.

SE London, UK
Level Contributor
140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

^ co-signed... there's no real drama, it's all hype.

I've not seen any 'queue's outside petrol stations', and certainly if there IS a protest it won't be happening in 5 weeks I shouldn't think!

UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

I saw three fuel tankers in the space of 20 miles late last night going to replenish garages sold out because of this scaremongering - The government were caught on the hop last time but they will not allow the blockades of refineries this time around .

Just relax in the sunshine of beautiful downtown Burbank and look forward to enjoying your holiday and paying £1 per litre for your fuel - yes thats per litre , not gallon so multiply by 3.8 to an American gallon and see why people are protesting.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

Most reputable car hire firms rent with full tanks and expect them returned the same. They will charge more to fill it up if you don't. So you will have enough to do 4/500 miles before you need to worry about fuel.

Burbank
Level Contributor
342 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

Yeah, I just read this morning that the protest has kind of crapped out...there were more media there than protesters...typical.

Yes I know gas is about 8 dollars a gallon US which is why I am currently selling a few things on EBay so I have extra cash to bring along.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

Gas is about $6.50 per US gallon which is smaller than a UK gallon; at least that's what it is up here in the north.

Rent the smallest car available, this will also help you with the narrower roads in the UK.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

When you sign you pick up the rental car, consider accepting the offer to return the tank EMPTY.

Normally I would fill it myself locally before the return, so that I can control the cost.

BUT if when you get here, petrol supplies are iffy, it would mean that you could return the car without having to cruise around looking for a petrol station & avoid queuing.

After all, you are on holiday.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

Good point about the smaller car.

Compacts with 1.4 or 1.6L engines routinely available.

1.4L OK around town, but 1.6L more versatile engine size if you are travelling distances at speed/motorway driving.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aargh! Just when I was going to rent a car..

OMG, 1.4L engines are considered the small ones? Yikes! 2.4L engines are about the smallest you see here - other than the new FourTwo Smart car... and even that's 1.8L diesel. I'm going to be hiring a car for my trip to Scotland next March... how are the littlest cars (since I'm very familiar with gas prices, this what I intend to request!) for power and maintaining speed on motorways?

(FYI - I drive a 3.8L V6 Mustang here at home... gas prices hurt, but my car is "my thing"... so I pay, and pay, and pay. LOL This is my baseline.)