We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

Hi,

I would like to visit Colindsle due to family conections however I need help please in planning where to stay.

i hope to fly into Stanstead. I have been to central London once before so I would prefer to head out to North west greater London this time. Plan on arriving on a friday, departing Monday. Just want to drive around the area and maybe visit people.

I would also like to take a day trip to Aylesbury, buckinghamshire to visit relatives.

As this is a last minute 'extra' trip I would like to plan it as economically as possible but nice. I'm not a hostel person, maybe when I was younger alright.

Wouldit be best to hire a car or would public transport suffice? Am travelling with a friend so seperate single rooms would be ideal but if epensive a twin would suffice. Would you reccomend staying in Colindale or have you something better in mind please. Would it be better stay Aylesbury?

Thanks ever so much for your help. i very much appreciate it.

:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

Colindale is a quiet area with few pubs in the area.. If you stayed in Colindale then you can commute to central London by tube on Northern line.

To travel from Stanstead airport to Colindale, you can take the National coach from Stanstead to Golders Green bus/ tube station( Cost £15 return). Then bus 183 or 83 and 5-10 walk from there.

London
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

Colindale is as Diva describes- quiet, a bit scruffy round the edges but up and coming (I have to say that as I live there!)

If you want to hire a car it would not be difficult to drive from Stansted (M11, M25, A1; takes about 1 1/4 hours). However, Aylesbury is also on the A1 so it's really up to you where you'd rather stay- I don't know Aylesbury well so can't advise where would be nicer. Either way it's an easy drive (problems on the M25 notwithstanding). But the coach & bus option is also good, I've done that a few times with no problems. Not sure exactly whereabout in Ireland you are coming from, but if you can fly into Luton all the better for reaching Colindale and Aylesbury more quickly.

If you do decide to stay down here, I can recommend some good pubs and particularly excellent and good value Indian food nearby.

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

The hotel you are looking for is Premier Inn - Edgware - on Premier site it is listed as London - Edgware. The hotel has a car park. It is on A5. There are no other proper hotels in the area. It is no more than 5 mins drive from Colindale. Unless breakfast is included don't bother as there are cafes/coffee shops not far from hotel

It is on a main road from which it is easy to get a bus to Colindale, or walk to Edgware station and take the tube for 2 stops.

A car would be a bonus as easier than public transport if you are not visiting Central London. If you have a SatNav bring it with you.

It is an easy drive from Stansted airport to this area - I live in Edgware and can do it easily in under an hour (not in rush hour though)

Another area to consider BUT only if you have a car is Elstree or Borehamwood - 15 mins drive at most from Colindale.

Hotels in these areas are:

The Village Hotel - Elstree - it is on an industrial estate just off the A41, which is the road you require to drive to Aylesbury.

Borehamwood is a little further than Elstree, and you can choose between Premier Inn or Ibis listed as London/Elstree/Borehamwood.

Borehamwood is a town with restaurants etc.

If you need any further help please ask or message me.

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for that info. I will look into Luton airport.

I will definately message you guys soon as you all seem to have goodknowledge and ideas. I will follow up what youve said and get back to you with any queries that you may be able to help me with. Excuse my typos keyboard is wonky. Thanks again. :)

London
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

If you do stay in Colindale/Edgware (Premier inn is a reliable and good bet if driving as Gil says) and like Indian food, this is a great place to go:

http://www.regencyclub.co.uk/

Don't be put off by the whole 'members' thing, they gave that up years ago. You will be buzzed in at the front door on arrival but that is normal. Service is amusingly surly but the food is amazing- it's always busy every night of the week (and considering these hard times that says a lot! The vast majority of punters are drawn from the local Asian community)

For nearby pubs I'd recommend the Claddagh Ring (between Colindale and Hendon Central)It's an Irish pub, very decent pub grub served all day and a great atmosphere when there's sport showing.

Gil will probably be able to give you recommendations closer to the Edgware end of Colindale if you decide to stay in our little corner of NW London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

Gils suggestion of Premier Inn sounds brilliant.

Also Gaby is right about Luton being nearest Airport to Colindale / Edgware area and Kingsbury (I live in Kingsbury).

You could hire the car or if you decide to come by public transport then you take either Easybus to Brent Cross and northern line to Edgware/colindale or take train from Luton airport to Hendon and then bus 183 or 83.

There are many Authentic Indian Restaurants on Kingsbury High Road at v good value that it has made me a lazy cook. Green man is a nice Irish pub with live music some days and they do good sunday roast.

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

Cool, Thanks gaby. I've just looked at flights into uton and have found reasonable ones. Renting a car for 3days will be about e200 so will probably do that. Trying to do this on a budget as have a major hol planned with hubby already so sparing the pennies.

India sounds nice. if I stay in that area I will definately go. Anywhere locals frequent is a good sign!! thanks alot.

:)

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

hi,

Thanks. I like the idea of public transport but would spend my time fretting about missing stops etc....I'm one of those people unfortunately so depending I may go with a car....and get totally lost :0. Will let you guys know what I decide. Currently researching!!! Thanks:)

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

Luton airport to Edgware, if there is no traffic or delays on the M1 will take approx. 30 mins or less.,once on motorway. Edgware is J4 and Luton is J10.

Once you have decided on hotel, let me know, and I will give exact directions from the M1.

Edgware has some Italian restaurants, and a couple of Chinese ones, plus a few others. We also have 3 coffee shops, a Subway, a Marks and Spencer etc.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting colindale edgeware area from stanstead. Help!!!

I think it's marginal staying in either locale. Aylesbury is not known for it's beauty but neither is Colindale. I have stayed at the Premier Inn in Aylesbury which was attached to a pub. It was ok, not brilliant but not bad.

A short drive from Aylesbury are some lovely towns and villages. I'm thinking of The Missendon's, Chartridge and Amersham to name but a few.

Additionally you can also drive across to Bicester Village for outlet shopping from there. (It's only about 30 minutes).

However, Colindale will give you access to Central London and Brent Cross is just around the corner for shopping.

(BTW - don't go looking for Aylesbury on the A1, you won't find it, it's actually on the A41).