We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car service vs public transport?

iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Car service vs public transport?

I'm lucky enough to have a free place to stay next week in London. Looks like a fabulous up-scale flat on Wapping High street about a mile east of the Tower of London. The person who is letting me use it advised that the closest tube stop is also a mile and recommends using a car service (cheaper than a taxi?) to get around. I'm more of a budget traveler and have used the tube in the past, although it was always within a few blocks. What about taking a bus to a tube station? Would that be a huge hassle? Can a car service really be a reasonable option?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car service vs public transport?

Plenty of buses serve that area - exactly which ones suit you will depend on eaxactly where in Wapping you are, but you might find the 100 and the D3 useful buses.

The only tube station proper in Wapping is Wapping station on the East London Line, but that (the whole line) is currently closed, and you will probably be using the DLR station at either Shadwell or Limehouse.

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car service vs public transport?

Can't imagine a car service being competitive for any less than 3 passengers, certainly not for one. Many locals now use bicycles with a good padlock and chain, few regulations (common sense) weekly rental should be reasonable. Ideal for getting to local tube and popping to the shops as well as longer planned trips.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car service vs public transport?

Have you got a postcode for the flat in Wapping High Street?

Wapping Underground station (and all of the East London line) is closed for refurbishment, so your choice of transport in the area is bus or shank's pony: I think you'll become very cosy with the number 100 bus during your stay.

If you're willing to take a bit of time, you can make the journey quite easily on the Tube plus bus. From Heathrow take the Piccadilly line to Holborn and change there to the Central line to Liverpool Street station.

Alight there and walk to the bus station - there is an escalator up from the concourse to the station - and from stop A take the number 100 towards Shadwell. The bus is a little hoppa, not a double decker, so keep an eye out for it.

The D3 may be an option for you as well, depending on where you'd like to go in the city. It travels along Wapping Lane and Wapping High Street, to and from Shadwell, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green, then towards Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs.

Here's a little something to get you started:

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…wapping-10913.pdf

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car service vs public transport?

I forgot to say... while the East London Line is closed, there is a replacement bus service (route ELW) that runs from Wapping station to Shoreditch, via Shadwell and Whitechapel.

I have a great findness for the Wapping area. Stereotypical tourist London it ain't, but it has bags of history, good pubs, and has been shaped as a backwater by its curious position as a lump projecting into the river, away from the main road into central London from the east.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car service vs public transport?

Once you start using the buses, you'll love them. And it sounds like the most practical way to get around from where you'll be.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car service vs public transport?

I'll second Kay's words. Buses are great, no need to pay for a car service!

iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car service vs public transport?

Thanks so much for all of your kind replies. The most detail I have for the location is "22 Cinnabar Wharf which is a set of condo’s on Wapping High Street". I'll arrive at Gatwick and leave from Heathrow. Was planning to take the train to Victoria station then a cab from there. I was hoping to only use a cab on those days to and from the trains that go to the airports and otherwise take public transportation. I guess I'll be figuring out the bus! I haven't done that before in London. I'm primarily planning to see some of the typical tourist things -- Covent Garden, maybe Hampton Court, The Courtauld Gallery, the Tate Modern, the theatre once or twice, really whatever strikes my fancy and just do some general wandering around. I've printed a few bus schedules but they look confusing. Any general advice on figuring out how to get where I want to go?

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car service vs public transport?

Like travellerplus suggests, log onto the tfl.gov.uk website. It's great for planning a journey. You put the starting point and the ending point...pick a tourist site, address etc. You can pick which form of transport you want ...go on the advanced option. The site is VERY user friendly! And even gives you London weather.

We used the 100 bus to Wapping and everyone jumped in the discussion as to where we should get off and/or what to see when we did.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car service vs public transport?

Rather than getting the train to Victoria, you can get a FirstCapitalConnect train to London Bridge from Gatwick amd then get a taxi from there to Wapping.

The train fare will be cheaper than the Gatwick Express and about the same as the Southern service to Victoria but London Bridge is a lot nearer to Wapping so your taxi fare will be less. There's a taxi rank at London Bridge station so you won't have a problem getting a taxi.

Seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car service vs public transport?

You lucky dog, Wapping is great. See the NYTimes travel section (search archives) for their written walking guide of Wapping, there is a lot to see there.