We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motor home hire in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Motor home hire in London

We are two Aussie seniors travelling to London (first time to Europe) and wish to hire a motor home from Heathrow and return to same. Most of the hire firms are miles away - anyone know one who has a depot near Heathrow? Many thanks.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motor home hire in London

I was just having a look at the motor home listings and there is at least one, Chariots Motorhome Hire, that offers courtesy transfer to their depot. I do not see any that are right near Heathrow.

www.chariotsmotorhomehire.co.uk

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motor home hire in London

Please do not consider bringing a motorhome into Central London - as there are no "special" parking areas for them, and parking is very expensive.

It is fine to hire it for travelling outside London, but again not to use in major cities.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motor home hire in London

I couldnt agree more with Gil57. Dont even THINK about a motor home for use within London. Its totally impractical on so many levels.IE: Road space, parking, congestion charge, fuel prices etc.

With all due respect if its your first trip to Europe, let alone London, are you really sure you want to be driving at all?

I say that as someone who has lived in London all my life, and have been driving for over 30 years. Its a nightmare, seriously. Please re-consider your options.

Rgds

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motor home hire in London

<< Most of the hire firms are miles away >>

Thats because motor homes are fairly inconvenient in most places around London /Southern England for reasons already explained. Maybe if you are driving around the Lake District or Scotland (outside the main cities) they are useful but even then you will find issues, especially with getting into towns or villages and parking, or getting into said towns and villages from a campsite. Can you expand a bit more upon your plans/itinerary?

australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Motor home hire in London

Thank you all. We have no intention of driving in London itself - we want to get out and about in the countryside and do a quick tour around. We will have 3 days in London itself later,(early October) after a European bus tour, when we will base ourselves within walking distance of the main attractions. Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a B&B or hotel, clean and convenient in London itself that's not too expensive. (I guess you get asked this all the time!)

To Bluebreezer54 - I myself would rather not drive - I would rather take a tour - it is my husband who insists he wants to drive!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motor home hire in London

<<we want to get out and about in the countryside and do a quick tour around>>

Can you expand on that more, where you would go, and why your husband thinks a motorhome would be preferable to hotels/B&Bs because, if as from some previous posters from Oz here, he thinks things work the same in the UK as Oz he is likely going to be sadly disappointed. This is why there are few places renting them, demand is low for a good reason, e.g. in many places they are inconvenient for touring for multiple reasons.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motor home hire in London

Also put this query in one of the forums of TNT magazine (which is for Australians travelling to and living in the UK). There's certain to be people there who have done exactly the same thing.

http://tntonline.co.uk/tnt%5Ftoday/

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motor home hire in London

Is your husband prepared for this: …flickr.com/3568/3302244232_b32d8e0e5e.jpg

and lots of roads like this: http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~hyde/England/PicsJan7a/04TypicalRoadCotswolds.JPG

You might just want to rent a car and stay at B&B's along your route. :o)

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motor home hire in London

Hi Senior Aussies!

For affordable and central accommodation have alook at the Travelodge near Tower Bridge. It will provide a basic, but hopefully clean and comfortable en suite room and has a cafe attached for breakfast. It is in an excellent location for all the main sights in London, and within easy reach of tube and bus routes.

I'd really work hard at persuading your husband to think again about the motorhome idea, although having been married myself for 34 years this year, I know it ain't always easy to get men to change their minds!! Many of the roads just are not suitable, being congested and/or narrow. Hire a smaller car and stop in B and B's or small hotels is my advice. They are also very expensive to hire. You'll get much better deals doing it the other way.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motor home hire in London

Just to add to the chorus of voices recommending against a motor home: in addition to the good reasons already stated, please be aware that you won't be able to just park up for the night anywhere you choose. I suspect you'll find it easier finding a hotel or B&B than finding a suitable place to park the motor home.