We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to London

texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Trip to London

Hi All,

I am a woman traveling alone to London in late August and would like to get some of your advice on what reasonably priced, centrally located hotels are good for someone traveling alone. Thanks

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to London

Hi Claire,

You shouldn't feel concerned about travelling alone in London, there are no particular worries for the lone traveller. You could maybe try somewhere in Bloomsbury or Kensington, they are very safe areas where you won't feel threatened. But nowhere within the centre is a no-go zone.

If you have any particular concerns, you could contact "Leagle" who is an expert on solo travel, and lives in London. I'm sure she'd be happy to advise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to London

A handful of hotels come to mind, but a bit more information might help make the selection even more precise.

How long will you be in London? Are you travelling to London only, or is the visit part of a longer journey; if the latter, are you flying or taking the train to London? If you're flying from the States, will you arrive at Gatwick or Heathrow?

Are you planning any day trips or overnight journeys from London? If so, are you thinking of flying or taking the train to your other destination(s)? With hotels in mind, would you prefer a full service hotel or a more modest bed and breakfast type property? And - have you a budget in mind?

texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to London

Hi, first of all thanks for your help.

I will be in London for one week, and I plan to do maybe a day trip to Bath, Stonehenge, etc. but mainly I plan to be in London. I am flying in from the States to Heathrow. I prefer a full service hotel but if you can recommend a bed and breakfast that is also welcome advice. My budget is about $150-$200 per night, so I am not looking to stay in a five star hotel, but something comfortable, clean,and safe within the touristy areas. LOL. Thanks alot.

Clairetay

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to London

I'm another female who will be visiting London alone and I'm actually planning on taking my chances on Priceline.com for hotels. I was there last October and most of the areas seemed very safe, so I don't have any qualms about picking a few zones on Priceline and bidding in those areas. And the underground is pretty much everywhere so it's rare (from what I've researched) to get a hotel that's very far from a Tube station.

I could recommend the Bayswater area, as that's where we stayed last time. Even when we were out late at night, we never felt unsafe. But in general, we never really felt unsafe anywhere in London. The Best Western Phoenix is a pretty good bet for a hotel there, as well as the Kensington Gardens hotel (although ask for a room away from the street - it got noisy a few nights when the pubs let out!).

texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to London

THANKS. I will definitely look into the hotels you recommend, and you are correct priceline is a good idea to go and bid. Side note. I laughed when I saw your Doctor Who avatar, I'm a fan of the show too, but I'm of the Tom Baker generation. LOL. Thanks again.

London
Level Contributor
115 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to London

the hotels in bayswater are probably OK for you and its near to Hyde Park etc. I would also check out the Novotel at Tower of London and any other hotels in the 'city' area.

The Hilton Islington is located in a nice residential area but it might be too much for your budget.

The other option I have heard good things about is the Bishopsgate self-catering apartments. I cant remember the name exactly but its something like that and having your own apartment for a week would be rather fun!

London
Level Contributor
971 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to London

I would recommend the Russell hotel in Russell Square, this is a very nice safe area. Not too far from Kings cross (easy link to Paddington where you will get the train to go to Bath. Walking distance to Soho/covent garden and Oxford street and round the corner from the British museum!

http://www.londonrussellhotel.co.uk/

Have fun

A

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to London

The Darlington Hyde Park advertises as being solicitous for solo women; it isn't "full service" in the sense of having a restaurant and bar, but it was comfortable. The Sussex Gardens area used to have a poor reputation and the hotels there probably vary in quality, but I felt perfectly safe day and night in late 2007. Its close to Paddington and very close to the Lancaster Gate station with plenty of buses as well.

I'm staying this year at the "B&B Belgravia" which I like very much and is also in a pleasant and safe area, but they do book up early.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to London

Any of the areas mentioned here would be fine for a single woman travelling. Check Google map for any hotels that look interesting in the reviews. You need to look for a place close to a tube station and within or very near to within the Circle line. (the yellow one)

As I live here, I only know hotels second hand. :)but I can say that London feels remakably safe for getting out and about as a woman on her own. The underground is well used at all hours in the central areas and the mood is usually cheerful, although very late at night there may be a fair number of people whose cheerfulness is artificial and not too well controlled. Just watch where you step.

Oh, and to avoid irritated looks and tsks, stand on the right on the underground escalators to leave room for the Londoners tearing down the stairs....

Because London is so walkable and the public transport works well most of the time, London is a great city to visit; and because there is such a variety of interesting things to see and do, it is ideal for a solo visit to enable you to make it your London.

Southeast USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to London

I am also a woman and have done London solo twice. I'm going back next week. :) I've had good luck on Priceline with the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum (twice) and am staying a few blocks away at the Copthorne Tara this time. I like the High Street Ken/Gloucester Road area and feel quite safe there. If you're willing to spend $200 per night, though, you may be able to do considerably better on Priceline and stay in Mayfair or Westminster. Proximity to a tube stop is more important, to me, than actual location. Have a wonderful time getting to go wherever you want, whenever you want!