We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurotunnel?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sant feliu guixols
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
eurotunnel?

Hello,

I intend to drive to the uk in august and i was wondering if people think it's better to use the ferry or the eurotunnel? Has anyone out there tried the eurotunnel and if so is it really necesary to book the time and date to go through? In the website it says you should do it, but to travel pushing for time is horrible, i prefer to let myself go and arrive when i arrive, you know. Also is it cheaper to travel by ferry? I have seen the cheapest fare in the eurotunnel would be 160 euros both ways if we go through late in the evening. Can anyone give me a tip please? thanks.

fancy girls

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurotunnel?

<<i prefer to let myself go and arrive when i arrive, you know>>

It depends - if you usually turn up and buy airline tickets on the day, it seems like a plan. I presume you also prefer to pay the most possible for your fare? And potentially queue for hours because its full and you cant get the first few trains? - this is August you are talking about, not February.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eurotunnel?

I would prefer the ferry, because looking at the sea is better than looking at a tunnel. Also the ferries are very large ships and there is a lot to do on board.

In both cases, the earlier that you buy the tickets then the cheaper that they will be. August is a very busy month.

Newbury, England
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eurotunnel?

I personally prefer Eurotunnel for two reasons. First, I am a terrible sailor and can't stand going across on a boat, and secondly Eurotunnel seems to be so much quicker.

Arrive, drive onto the train, 35 mins start/stop and drive off straight onto the motorways. So much more convenient than the boat, but you can't stretch your legs and there are no facilities for getting anything to eat or drink, but then you are on there for such a short time it doesn't matter.

Book in advance for either, or both, you are unlikely to get a driveup and buy ticket because the time you are looking at is right in the middle of the school holiday season. I have seen people being turned away with no possible time for them to get across.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eurotunnel?

It is usually cheaper to go by ferry and you can get a meal on board. I find Norfolk lines generally offer the cheapest fares.

Personally I take the train, I have yet to experience seasickness on the tunnel and it is much quicker.

Always book in advance.

sant feliu guixols
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eurotunnel?

Many thanks! I will certainly book in adavance, but I still haven't decided ferry or eurotunnel.

Thanks anyway.

fancy girls

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,603 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eurotunnel?

At least with Eurotunnel you do not have to worry about whether the sea is going to be rough ;) I do tend to use the ferry that said due to the cost been cheaper than using the tunnel and for some reason I find Eurotunnel extremely hot and claustophobic, although I can use it.

London
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eurotunnel?

There is a vast different in price between 'walk up' price and book ahead price. This is true of both Eurotunnel and the ferry operators.

Eurotunnel should have many advantages over ferry. In reality, I find they squander those advantages.

(1) The crossing is much quicker than by ferry (35 minutes compared to 90 minutes). On the other hand - there is nothing to see and nothing to do in the eurotunnel train - whereas at least you can get a meal on the ferry.

(2) Eurotunnel was originally advertised as having so many crossings it would be like a virtual motorway. In practise, there are often long gaps between services.

(3) It should be easier to load/unload the train than a ship. In my experience, Eurotunnel are hopeless. The amount of my life I have wasted in their car parks because of operational delays. I have to admin I have not used Eurotunnel for the last couple of years - I gave up on them - so perhaps another forum member has more recent experience? It is always quicker to unload the train than it is to unload the ferry though.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eurotunnel?

I used Eurotunnel only once. It was a long time ago, but it was such a hideous experience I made a firm decision never to do it again.

At each end, we had to wait well over an hour (and closer to 2 hours in one direction) from driving into the terminal to getting on the train. And that was just sitting in the car. We were marshalled into a holding area and couldn't go and wander around a terminal building, get a cup of tea, or the like. Never again.

Don't know what the fares are like on Eurotunnel, but on the ferries there is a HUGE difference in price between just turning up and booking in advance. If you just turn up at the port for the ferry, expect to pay about GBP 100 each way. You can get vastly cheaper deals than that if you book in advance.

9. Re: eurotunnel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 05:53