We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West End Tickets- TKTS or buy ahead?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Topic
West End Tickets- TKTS or buy ahead?

Hi there I am a huge theatre fan and interested in seeing several shows in the West End shortly during my time in London. I already have tickets for Wicked with my friend.

Wondering if other shows such as Hairspray and the plays are better bought ahead with Ticketmaster or the day of at TKTS. My hotel is near the Leicster Square TKTS.

If I have specific shows such as Hairspray or specific plays is it better to do it with Ticketmaster? I also like sitting in orchestra seats and can be praticular with that? Any suggetions? Many thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
458 reviews
from US$105.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.00*
US$334.40
London
Level Contributor
563 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West End Tickets- TKTS or buy ahead?

Websites like lastminute dot com will give you better discounts than either the ticket booths or Ticketmaster. You'll also avoid queueing.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West End Tickets- TKTS or buy ahead?

It all depends on what you want to see. Try getting a ticket at ANY price for Jude Law's Hamlet, Gillian Anderson in A Doll's House, Helen Mirren in Phedre, Waiting for Godot! Most theatres have a few standby seats for sale on the day, but for the above I bet you'll need to be there at the crack of dawn.

By the way, not all productions on sale at Lastminute have a 50% discount. On the other hand, but the time it gets to the day of the performance, there might not be seats available at TKTS. It's acase of working out how popular the shows you want to see are in advance and then making your decision. I visit London twice a year and usually book all I want to see well ahead. It's mostly 'serious' stuff (National, Donmar, Almeida etc) so i do it through the theatre's own web sites. Since I am over 60, I often get good deals for matinees.

3. Re: West End Tickets- TKTS or buy ahead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 06:45