We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

Hello!

I will be traveling to London, Rome, Florence, Brussels, and Paris in 2 weeks and have been trying figure out the cell phone system.

A friend gave me a Vodafone that he used while in London in March, 2004, and informed me that because it has not been used in over a year has probably been disconnected by Vodafone. The phone is a pay-as-you go phone.

Instead of renting or buying another phone, I would like to try and use this one. Does anyone know what I will need to do to make this phone "active" again, and is this something that I can do from the States, or will I have to wait until I get to the UK to activate it? Would I have to purchase a new SIM card and also new phone credits to make and receive calls?

I am trying to make all arrangements here so that I can provide phone number to family in the US, as well as traveling companions that we are meeting up with while on our trip.

Thanks!!

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

You would need to go into another mobile shop in London like we did and just buy a 20 pound kit that comes with a sim card (includes 5 pounds worth of calls) and u can top up at most post offcies etc. Not sure tho whether you can use the same number etc or a pay as you go in europe. Might want to check the Vodafone website yourselves on that regard. Given they are the company i would imagine they have the best answers.

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

Thanks for the reply. I checked the website but there was not much of an answer on this subject--I appreciate the advice that you gave. :-)

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

kara log on to ebay.co.uk sometime there are several sim cards to buy quite cheap- do u definatly know that the sim card is disconnected? if your phone is tri-band then the sim card should in theory pick up a local signal- but instead of saying vodafone it will maybe call it whatever your mobile network is over there. in the UK now we have a swipe card that u take into any shop in the uk and u can top up that way instead of the old voucher credit that we used to have.. good luck

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

That is not usually possible just to turn a phone on in another country and dial out or check the network. If it is a UK vodafone sim card and you are in the states, usually unless you have arranged some sort of roaming facility even if it is a active sim card it wont pick up a network. At best it might say no network available bu that in itself is not a sign the sim card is valid or not. Just that it is not containing a recognized network sim card. Most pay as you go have a time limit of 6 or 12 mths and if not used or recharged then the number becomes invalid.

SE London, UK
Level Contributor
140 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

The long and short of the Pay-As-You-Go system is that the mobile phone networks sell the phone itself much cheaper on a PAYG 'non-contract' because the calls are more expensive and people inevitably spend more with top-up cards.

However to stop people buying the PAYG for the phone and ditching the SIM they want the phone to be 'credited' every x amount of months (dependent on network).

I'm fairly sure if you call Vodaphone (00 44 7836 19 19 19) and tell them that you have a PAYG phone (or Pay As You TALK as they call it) and you think it's been disconnected and would like it re-activated they will tell you whether this is possible.

You may want to imbelish slightly on the amount of time you willbe using the phone and also mention you intend to use in in Europe also in order that they are more inclined to 're-activate' it because they think you'll spend a fair bit on top-ups.

Hope that helps... a little! :o)

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disconnected Vodafone--new SIM card?

Agree with V1per, a point/question though. How tough will it be to top up in Europe when you run out of credit? And you wouldn't want to stack the phone with heaps of credit just in case because then if you don't use it what do you do with it?

It is easy to get a SIM card when you are here, any vodafone, carphone warehouse or dodgy mobile place (not that I condone that) will sell them.