We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brighton - day trip?

New York
5 posts
Save Topic
Brighton - day trip?

I am leaving tonight for one week in London. I was wondering if it was worth it to spend a day - or a few hours in Brighton.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.80*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.80*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.60*
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Brighton - day trip?

Its years since I was a regular in Brighton and I miss it. I have fond memories of wandering the lanes, poking around the quirky independent shops and market stalls, eating out well on a budget at lovely restaurants, and sampling real ales in historic old Inns. Heavenly place for a day trip, or a weekend break.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Brighton - day trip?

I love Birghton. It's a great and easy day trip from London to a slightly special seaside resort.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Brighton - day trip?

I'm surprised at epidavros's views. If I was in London for a bit it would definitely be on my shortlist. I am looking forward to some day getting to Brighton (never been there), but for someone like me interested in urban architecture and having read much about it, it has lots to offer - i'm looking forward to experiencing the Lanes some time - 17th century meandering lanes of independent shops that match the medieval town plan. The Brighton Pavilion is much older than 19th century as the original "Marine Pavilion" building was designed by Henry Holland in the 18th century, son in law of the famous landscape architect Lancelot (Capability) Brown. It seems to be way more of a resport - Victoriana yes, but much more than that surely....

14. Re: Brighton - day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 May 2009, 18:05
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Brighton - day trip?

On one of our early trips to England my mom and I took the train down to Brighton and had a great time. We found the Royal Pavilion to be a real blast (we were both familiar with the Prince Regent and the history), we strolled on the pier, marvelled at people willing to accept rocks as a "beach" ;-) bought some stuff in the Lanes. . .it was a very nice day indeed.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Brighton - day trip?

Unexceptional, Epidavros? You surely must be joking! Was your post supposed to be sarcastic humour?

Like JimCardiff, I have not been to Brighton...yet. But it's definitely on the horizon in the future. How you can describe such an unique and historical masterpiece of architecture by John Nash as Disneyesque, I don't know. I've no doubt you'd probably describe St. Paul's Cathedral as ordinary too.

Brighton
Level Contributor
227 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Brighton - day trip?

Apart from an Oriental-style Palace, a pier, a marina, a month-long arts festival (including the opportunity to visit artists' houses), antique shops, the uniquely cosmopolitan North Laine area, and hundreds of bars and restaurants, I suppose Brighton is an unexceptional seaside town. Have a great trip, LDV.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Brighton - day trip?

I'm a Brighton fan too and would go way out of my way to visit the Royal Pavillion again. Not to mention the best fish and chips and mushy peas on the Pier and rambling through The Lanes. It's a great day out from London.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Brighton - day trip?

Epidavros you're 'avin a turkish mate!

DaveDee <<APPLAUSE>>

It's culture, fun, (tolerance?) and more fun. Come on down LTV - there's loads 'appnin with the festival on at the mo - you won't regret it.

JtheD

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Brighton - day trip?

I agree with all but one of the previous posters about the Pavilion, the shops, the seafront, the pier and could add many more such as one of the best local museums in the country and the worlds oldest electric narrow guage railway. The only word of warning is not to have high epectations of the beach itself, unless you like pebbles.