We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal,Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

I am looking for accomodation in the King's Cross area. It seems more reasonably priced.

I am wondering if this is a safe area at night for a women. Would the Underground at that stop be safe?

I remember years ago King's Cross was a seedy area. What about now? Has it changed?

Thanks

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

I stay at the Crestfield in Oct. 2007. Returned late from York and walked to hotel from Kings Cross just fine. There were people out and about but I did not feel scared.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

The reputation that King's Cross had is really no longer applicable.

With the building of the British Library things started to perk up. Now that Eurostar trains use St Pancras, the gentrification of KX is moving on apace; there are a number of houses, flats and estates within a ten minute walk where people are simply going about their lives.

I've stayed at the Crestfield, and it's a nice little hotel. I've also stayed at a hotel on Argyle Square - fairly quiet after dark but I didn't feel unsafe walking from the bus stop or Underground station to the hotel.

I like KX and would have no concerns about staying nearby in future; some hotels are nicer than others, but the area itself is one that rather appeals, to be honest.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

You may also wish to check out the oft-recommended nearby Bloomsbury hotels on Gower Street. Single rates are quite modest/competitive (about 50-60 pounds per night) and usually include a full breakfast. Read the TA reviews Ridgemount Hotel, the Jesmond Hotel, or the Arosfa.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

You probably sholdn't han about outside the station, except at a bus stop, late at night as there may be out-of-towners who remember its reputation, but the tube station is safe as any as t is always busy.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

It's fine. I've stayed in the area twice (in 2004 directly opposite KC station, in 2008 at the Travelodge Royal Scot, 8 minutes away). Felt perfectly safe. Last time I even walked to the bus stop outside the station at 3.30 a.m. without any concerns.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

You should not have any problem being on your own in Kings Cross now. I stayed a night in hotel there, many years ago when it was bit Iffy as I needed to take a v early train urgently to Yorkshire. I had no problem at all and I had my share of male attention when I was younger

Montreal,Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

Thank you all so much!!

I am thinking of staying at the Alhambra Hotel

which is at

17-19 Argyle Street Kings Cross

Any thought as to safety ? Would it be a good choice as a hotel?

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

The Alhambra Hotel is a very good choice, especially its proximity to King's Cross station and the British Library. The cost is good value and not much more than the Gower Street hotels, depending on your room selection. I'm assumng you've read the TA reviews. Make sure to ask for en suite facilities if desired and remember that most single hotel rooms in London are quite small.

Concerning safety, simply remain aware of your surroundings and alert if something makes you feel uncomfortable and you'll be fine...this would be true of any big city.

romania
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

hello,

I am staying at Carlton hotel . is not so far from King Cross. Any thoughts on that? I will be in London for four days. Still, I have a question, I will be arriving in London at 4 pm, and at hotel lets say at 5 pm. I want to do something with that is left of the day...what do u recomems, baring in mind that all the attractions close at 5-6 pm. many thanks

London
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Single Woman Staying King's Cross

Flori-

What day do you arrive? Many attractions have a late opening night. For example, you are very close to the British Museum, which opens late on Thursdays and Fridays until 20.30. The Tate Modern opens late on Fridays and Saturdays until 10pm. You could consider joining one of the London Walks (www.walks.com) that evening.