We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small town atms

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Topic
Small town atms

I know that London has lots of atm machines [I have Visa debit card] but what about small towns around So. England? We'll be leaving the next morning after our arrival in London[and then returning in 6 days]and dont want to get stuck [for instance Lyme Regis]

without enough funds in cash. Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small town atms

You won't have any trouble, there are machines all over the place and Lyme Regis is quite a busy tourist centre.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small town atms

Unlikely you will not have ATM opportunities in small towns.

Generally, high street banks will have an ATM outside as will Post Offices,supermarkets & petrol stations - set in to the wall, hence the phrase 'hole in the wall' .

Some smaller shops may have a stand alone machine - you will charged for this service no matter which bank chain you use. Note the proximity of these machines to the shelves of booze gives you an idea of fiscal priorities.

Also, many supermarkets (M&S etc) now offer you cash back when you pay at the till for purchases.

Small rural communities work hard to keep the village shops & Post Office open - you may be able to hand your card over the PO counter for a manual debit, just another service :-)

In all instances you will need a 4 digit PIN code.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small town atms

You can find ATM locations in the UK at www.link.co.uk. Put in "Lyme Regis, Dorset" and you'll see where they are.

I'd be surprised if any listed on there as free or as run by a bank or building society didn't take VISA etc.

Martin

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small town atms

You may be able to get away without the 4 digit PIN - from what I remember Chip-and-Pin is not as popular in the US as it is in the UK.

In fact, I have yet to use my PIN in the US unless things have changed recently?

I remember being asked for my ZIP code at petrol stations though which meant I couldn't use the pay-at-pump facility.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small town atms

4 digit PIN code is format used in the UK

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small town atms

"4 digit PIN code is format used in the UK"

I am fully aware of that - however my point is that someone from the US may not have a PIN to use in the UK.

As far as I'm aware the Chip-and-Pin system isn't in widespread (if any) use over there. Perhaps someone from over the pond could clarify?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small town atms

You will need a 4-digit PIN to get cash from an ATM, but won't need it to make a purchase without getting cash back; you would simply sign for it. Because the UK has gone to a chip-and-PIN system for credit cards, there is sometimes some confusion when using a credit card at establishments unfamiliar with how it all works, however. I've no experience getting cash back from a supermarket, so I don't know what's required there. You need to know your code in numbers as the keypads are numeric, not alphanumeric.

Pepperwhitemini, if you're using a debit or ATM card in the US and are getting cash back (such as at a Target store for example) you will need your PIN. However, many POS purchases can be signed for, just as you would when making a purchase with a credit card. Some stores don't require even a signature if you're getting no cash back and the purchase is under a certain dollar amount. For example, at my local supermarket, I can make a purchase under $25, using my credit card, and I don't have to sign, but if I'm using my debit card and want cash back, I have to use my PIN.

Sorry, BlueSue, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small town atms

For reference: No matter what one does with debit or credit card in the home domain, to use it in the UK you will need to have a 4 digit numeric PIN code.

Your card provider will issue you with said 4 digit PIN code to use in the UK, if you do not already have one.

At the time that the UK began migration to the chip 'n' pin system, a series of posts ran on TALF about this subject.

england
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small town atms

offhand I can only think of one ATM in Lyme but there may be others I haven't noticed as I've never drawn out cash there. So it is possible that it could be broken.

In larger places - even still small places like Bridport - you'd expect to find more than one. You sometimes find ATMs in shops and possibly could draw money in larger Post Offices.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small town atms

One thing I noticed in Horley, UK which is the town around Gatwick, was that the ATM's wanted to charge me a fee. The one at the Holiday Inn wanted to charge me 1.85ish pounds to use my bank debit card and the nearest service (petrol) station wanted 1.75ish. I gave up at that point and tried to use my bank card there. It wasn't accepted as part of that banking system.

So, I walked on and found a free ATM at a service station, and it did accept my card. My bank charges me a buck to make a withdrawal. I didn't want to pay another $3-$4 on top of that just to get some petty cash.

In the US, if you want to use your bank's debit card or a credit card for cash, you must have a Pin number. We don't need a PIN to charge to a credit card, however.