We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

I will be making my third trip to London this coming late October to celebrate my birthday. I've been to the theater before while there, but this year, I'd love to finally catch 'Phantom of the Opera'. I've been on several sites looking for suggestions as to the best seats at Her Majesty's and I HAVE downloaded the detailed seating chart, but I'm wondering if any of you can advise as to the best seats in both the main stalls and the upper levels. One of my friends will be seeing Phantom for the first time; another friend has seen it in NYC, and I've seen it on tour in my hometown (sat under the chandelier once). I'm aware of the various ticket sites to check for purchases; my interest is in knowing that when I see the row or seats I can consider, we won't have paid out a lot of bucks for a lousy view (I also know that the most expensive seats aren't always the best).

And is it even WORTH trying to get seats under the chandelier? (This would be cool, but not imperative).

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
96 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

Haven't been to that theatre, but I always use this site when deciding which seats to chose:

theatremonkey.com/…Th

London
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

My daughter went to see the show the other day, and was in Row J of the stalls - centre, and said the view was good.

A lot depends on where you like to be and how much you are spending on the tickets.

England
Level Contributor
222 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

I sat in the front of the dress circle which gives an excellent view. I have been 3 times and was disappointed with seats at the back of the circle as we couldn't see the action at the top of the stage because of the over-hang from the upper circle. Avoid these seats.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

We were front row centre in the upper circle - fantastic view

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,896 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

What did you think of the show?

Stoofer

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

I have seen it from the front of the Dress Circle and directly under the chandelier.

Watching my daughters faces under the chandelier was the best part of that show ;-). For actually watching the show, front of the DC was best. The scenes on the roof and where the Phantom is up high are much more watchable from the DC.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

I just want to thank everyone so far who has been offering me suggestions. I think I'm leaning more and more towards us trying to get near the front row of the Dress Circle because we DO want to see everything. My hope is that with me getting the tickets this summer, several months in advance of the trip, we'll have a much better selection of seats.

One of you asked about what we would spend on tickets. I'm thinking that since this is a special occasion, we may be willing to splurge a bit, but not just get ridiculous. (I'm already seeing that buying from some of these "brokers" will literally cost an arm and a leg, even with the exchange rate. I go to other sites and find the prices comparable for what I've paid for decent opera tickets here in the States. When I see the SAME seats going for $200 each through a broker -- it's sad, pathetic and angering). I'm sorry, let me get back on track. *g*

Thanks again for everyone's help and keep the seat suggestions coming!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

I booked tickets for September, and got the front row of the upper circle. Very reasonable even for our Oz dollar. They will be fantastic seats. I used London Theatre Direct, excellent service. The lady rang me in Perth to confirm my booking.

Enjoy London, fantastic city!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
9. Re: Phantom of the Opera London: Which seats are the "best"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2009, 07:16