We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
175 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

im traveling with my daughter (11) and mom for a wk or two to london, do you know of a flat for rent (great price and location) in london? and probably, rent another one in paris for the 2nd wk? any ideas?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

At the top of the forum is a sticky for apartment rentals, do's and don'ts and also a list of reputable agencies. Don't be fooled by "too good to be true" prices - DON'T WIRE ANYONE MONEY - that is a sure sign of a scam. Use credit card only for deposit and payment. Also, sometimes the 070 numbers are non-traceable cell phones - that is usually signs of scam.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

Kilikili

What combination of rooms do you want? 2 bed (one double one twin),1 bath, seems most likely for your party. These would run roughly 150-200 pounds a night. If you stay at least a week you can get discounts on the nightly charges.

Here's a few apartments that might suit:

The Mansions, Earls Court - here you are within striking distance of many sites as you are on the district and piccadilly tube lines (and good for getting back to Heathrow). Lots of cheap eats, banks, grocery stores.

Aston's - locations about London. South Kensington popular. Also close to museums like the V&A, Science Museum and only one tube or bus ride away from Harrods.

Citadines - chain with apartments in Paris too. They have sites near Trafalgar and at Holborn (good for the British Museum and Inns of Court), and Kensington.

The area around Tower Of London is also popular.

I found this one - The Londinium Apartments near Tower pf London - for £1,300 a week right now for a two bed/two bath.

You can google all for their own websites or the agencies that sell them. Google using "london Short-stay apartments".

These are only some examples. The agencies will list many more across budget, standard, superior and luxury classes. Email if you don't find the information you are looking for on their site as you might get a personal guide to which apartment would fit. I did this with Harrington Gardens apts and they really went out of their way to accommodate me, alas my dates and our needs just didn't quite fit.

Look for hidden costs like cleaning and security deposits. And check how big the kitchen is - some just have a microwave and a toaster not an oven as well. And if any of your party has mobility issues check they have lifts to your apartment's floor.

And as posted above...if the price seem to be good to be true, it probably is. Warning signs include badly compiled sites with poor grasp of English and not knowing the layout of London, very low rates, photos and material taken from legitimate sites, non-corporate email and web addresses - eg steve@yahoo.com than steve@apts.co.uk and using cellphone numbers rather than landline phones - eg, number starting with 070.

If in any doubt not send funds before asking back here, or checking for reviews on TA.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
175 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

im still torn between staying with relatives (FREE LODGING) in West Croydon or renting a flat. Im not sure how convenient and safe is the West Croydon area. Especially we'll be taking public transportation, not wanting to inconvenient the relatives and us looking very much like tourists and getting lost. Do you know how safe is West Croydon?

Thanks for the input.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

On our first visit to London, my sister and I stayed with a cousin who lives in Purley, which is not too far from Croydon. There's a train station at Croydon (quite a largish one) and trains seemed to go there regularly. It didn't take all that long to get into London Victoria from there. It didn't strike me as being an unsafe area; rather it seemed just like a normal suburb and, although we weren't there at night, we felt safe there (having said that, I've never felt unsafe anywhere in London or in the UK as a whole; just the opposite to be honest).

On our last trip, as we travelled with 2 friends, we decided to rent an apartment, as it would have been rude to impose (not that I would have dreamed of doing so). After much research, we settled on The Mansions at Earl's Court and couldn't have been happier with our choice, both in terms of the apartment itself and the location.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

Kilikili

MarmaladeT has some good advice.

Any area outside of central London isn't immediately a danger zone or off-limits to tourists. Find out from your relatives about the different travel options in and out of London. Look at journey planners on the www.nationalrail.co.uk website to see about the trains from Croydon and how often.

If there are good transport services and your relatives are happy to have you, then it would seem silly to spend extra for an apartment. If you are wanting to do things late at night in London, then find out how late the buses or trains run. You could ask your relatives to call you a mini-cab to collect you from the train to deposit you back to at their home.

And don't stress about taking new transport, we all had to take a bus, a metro ride, or a trip on a train for the first time at some stage. Once you've done it a few times, it will be fine.

I had to recently weigh up between staying with a friend in Kingston, a little less convenient than iwould like but cheap, and renting a short-stay apartment. I went with the apartment option (The Mansions!) once a friend decided to join me. That gives us that much more freedom although it is considerably more expensive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

RubyBaby, The Mansions was brilliant! We had the loviest 2 bedroom/2 bathroom flat on the 5th floor and, contrary to a review on TA about The Mansions' lift, it DOES go all the way to the 5th floor (although I believe there are 2 connected buildings that make up "The Mansions", so maybe on other other side things differ - we were at No 1 The Mansions). The flat had recently been completely redecorated, the beds were extremely comfy, lovely linens, the showers had great water pressure, nice new kitchen with dishwasher and a full-size fridge (not a bar fridge) and, all in all, it was very pleasant to stay there (in fact, I could happily live there). It wasn't the cheapest place to stay (£185 per night at the time) but there were 4 of us sharing and there was more than enough room for 4 adults, so in the scheme of things it wasn't THAT expensive.

Cheers

Susan

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
175 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

thanks for all your reply, it kinda put my mind at ease. Im really on a tight budget and I just needed to hear from others how West Croydon is, especially if my relatives are not always gonna be there with us to direct us everyday.

Land of Enchantment
Level Contributor
326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

Try this place - www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p11483.

We stayed there in 2006 and I would have stayed last September but it was booked. They get consistantly good reviews. The owners are very nice and helpful and live close in the event something needs to be fixed. The location is wonderful, just north of Hyde Park and close to lots of public transportation option. The gardens are a treat to come home to each day and the apartment itself is set up to accomadate a person with physical disablities. (how old is your mom?) The price is very reasonable. The only problem from a renter's point of view is that they are very popular and so are booked months in advance.

Land of Enchantment
Level Contributor
326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

Oops - the period at the end of my sentence wound up as part of the link. Delete it after you get the error message from the website and it will go to the right page.

10. Re: ideas for a flat to rent for a wk or two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 05:36