We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

I know many people ask for a cheap hotel suggestion. Then people respond with 3 star suggestions. Here are our needs.

2 adults, 2 young teens.

Close to a tube station we can get to and from Heathrow (paddington?) and around the sights.

2 nights end of July

Clean but really cheap. Beds for 2 and 2 on the floor is fine. Shared bath is fine.

I had an idea to call direct to a hotel with a room for 2 and ask if my kids could be on the floor. Is this done or am i crazy?

thanks for the ideas.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

what do you mean by cheap? as for sleeping on the floor,doesn't sound very comfortable.

if you give us an idea of your budget,I am sure other advisors can help you. also,have a look at the hotel section here for ideas.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

I have looked in the hotel section and maybe i am just not being realistic. In North America 4 of us can find a clean hotel for $50/night. I was hoping to spend less than double that.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

Quleed, hotels in London aren't cheap though there are places and areas that are cheaper than others.

For a start, like the poster above, I don't think you need to have your sons on the floor as some hotels do offer quad-rooms, or at least rollaway beds/cots/or sofa beds. Don't expect large scale rooms which are a specialty of American hotel chains. But for two nights that shouldn't worry you too much.

Areas that have more than their share of budget accommodation are Bayswater - not too far from Paddington where you can get the Heathrow Connect train to Heathrow. And Earls Court, which is on the Piccadilly tube line direct to Heathrow.

You'd be hard pressed to find something in the 35pound range in summer which is centralised.

What days of the week are you in London? Heathrow hotels in particular can get very cheap (and you can still come into central london by train or tube within 55 minutes) Fridays through Sundays which might make a quad room in a 3 star hotel there viable.

Check out travel websites like travelocity, expedia and then sort by price and location. I just put in two mid-week dates in late July into hotels.com and most of the responses had quad rooms around 75-80 pounds a night.

Hostels might be too full of young things - unless your sons would love this! You could get a quad room with bathroom for less than the price of a hotel.

London
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

It would be illegal for the children to sleep on the floor - it would be against "Fire & Safety Regulations". Plus the fact the rooms in London are smaller than you are used to, and you would be lucky to find enough room on the floor for them, plus your luggage and still have room to move.

You have no need to stay near Paddington, as another area to look at is Bloomsbury/Kings Cross as from there you can take the tube (much cheaper)from Kings Cross tube station, than Heathrow Express/or Heathrow Connect direct to Heathrow airport.

From this area it is easy to get around as Kings Cross tube station is on many lines, plus there are good buses as well.

If you look through some of the posts on here, reference is made almost daily to hotels in Bloomsbury/Kings Cross area.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

Rooms for four are thin-ish on the ground, but doable.

Check www.travelodge.co.uk to see if there are rooms available for your dates. Consider the TL Euston, Southwark, City Road and Kings Cross Royal Scot. Start the search for a Saver room, and try looking for one night at a time rather than two nights; sometimes the system defaults to a more expensive option if you'd like to check two nights' availability.

If the TLs don't have anything on offer, consider the Crestfield Hotel, about two minutes' walk from King's Cross station. KX is about an hour on the Piccadilly line from Heathrow, with lots of transport options to and from the area.

Also consider the Gower Street hotels: the Arosfa, Ridgemount, Jesmond and Arran House hotels. All family run, all very pleasant and well worth consideration. From Gower Street you can take a bus to Hyde Park Corner and hop on the Underground there to Heathrow - sounds complicated but is in fact quite an easy process.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

Thankyou all. this is exactly what i was looking for. A reality check on prices. Location suggestions. fire regulations etc. One post asked what days. Tuesday/wednesday night.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

We paid 89 GBP/ night for a twin room in Bloomsbury. You could not have fit 2 kids (much less teenagers) on the floor unless they slept under the bed. There was just room for a suitcase between the bed and the wall on one side and a wardrobe between the bed and the wall on the other. They did have a triple room which would have been big enough (I think) to fit a person on the floor if you were not also trying to fit 4 suitcases. This was at the Crescent Hotel near Russell Sq tube station with easy access to Heathrow. Anywhere on the Picadilly line would have good access to Heathrow.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

We just booked a family room at the Travelodge Southwark for 69 pound per night Saver rate this summer. Room fits 2 in the bed and 2 kids in the pullout sofa. Private bath, but no breakfast incl. We also will need to get to Heathrow, but I think we can do it fairly easily with a tube change. I also wanted to stay near Paddington for the Heathrow service, but after searching online for at least two months for a clean, central hotel room with good reviews for 3 people for $100 or under per night, TL Southwark was literally the only option, and it is a tad over $100 with the exchange rate. Good luck!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

<<I have looked in the hotel section and maybe i am just not being realistic. In North America 4 of us can find a clean hotel for $50/night>>

Does "N America" include New York because thats probably a good comparison point with where you are looking to stay, not middle of nowhere, Iowa. I doubt you'd find anywhere you'd want to stay in NYC at $50/night for 4. If you go for a place at that rate you will get, unless you luck out with a deal, a flea-ridden drug dealing dump and a miserable time had by all.

Re deals, look at Travel Lodge and Premier Inn, both sometimes have deals with prices around £20-£30 but you have to get lucky with the offer meeting your dates. Generally, a hotel at these prices isn't going to be one you would want your worst enemy to stay in. (well I would but I can be vindictive)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap hotel, family of 4, near a tube to Heathrow

There are lots of inexpensive hotels and B&Bs in the Kings Cross area. But I don't think you will find something for the equivalent of $50 per night. We stayed at the Central Hotel (16-19 Argyle St. right across Euston Road from Kings Cross Station) in April 2008 for 52GBP for one night. It was a shared bath on the top floor. But it was clean, the breakfast was decent, and you can get to Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line from Kings Cross.

I found that hotel by looking here on Trip Advisor's B&B listings, and made the booking on-line.