We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and What Clothing to Bring

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
638 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and What Clothing to Bring

I'll be visiting London June 4- June 14 and am wondering what the weather is usually like during early June. What type of clothing should I bring? I was planning on bringing some long sleeve and some short sleeve tops, some pants, some skirts, a dress, a raincoat, a sweater, a pair of shoes, a pair of sandals, and a pair of running shoes. Does this sound okay?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from US$104.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$100.10*
Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

weather can be hard to predict,but you should be fine with these. you probably won't need a mac,just bring an umbrella. the two times I was there in the summer,it rained on and off,and was warm.

is this your first trip to London?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
638 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

Thanks califpoppy. I've been to London many times but never in June. I'm also going to Ireland. That's the main reason I'm bringing a raincoat.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

you might want to bring one a lightweight rain poncho.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

Please see the FAQ sticky re: weather in London. It's impossible to predict, and literally changes daily. The past two summers were rainy and cool, so a light mac would be a good idea, even if we have a decent June, as rain is a real possibility. The potential to layer is key to being comfortable on your trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
638 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

I think the last time I was in London was July of 2006. London had a heat wave that year. It appears that this June will not be as warm.

Thanks to everyone for responding so quickly.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

It's a little early to get a reasonable forecast, but you might like to try this site up to 14 days before your flight.

Depends whether there is a test match on, if there is it will be raining!!!!!

www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp…

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

I notice a fairly significant discrepancy between temperatures on metcheck.com and weather.com : for this Thursday metcheck projects a maximum temperature of 16 degrees C while weather.com shows 21. Saturday is 18 versus 22. From past experience which is more reliable? I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

LyricalDove, last time I went to both Ireland and England in July it was raw and rainy in Ireland to the point I shivered in sweatshirts, jacket and jeans; of course 4 days later in London it was a heatwave in shorts and tank tops.

Layers, layers,layers

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

Afds,

Sometimes they get the weather prediction wrong..Weather changes in London all the time. Just make sure you bring in Layers and be prepared for rain. Also bring comfortable shoes.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather and What Clothing to Bring

The thing with british weather is that it can be very changeable due to the UK being an island that is subject to a number of weather systems.

For this reason you will often find that the weather forecast is a topic of conversation/speculation.

We just get used to adapting to whatever the weather throws at us.

In my opinion the 10 day forecasts are a waste of time, at best the forecast will only be reasonably accurate for 2/3 days.

The clothing you have suggested looks fine, you could perhaps add a pair of shorts just in case we get a warm spell !!!

Enjoy your stay whatever the weather.