We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

Level Contributor
80 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

Yeah! Leaving in two days for our first trip to London. Some discussion among our ranks as to whether to ride London Eye early first thing in the morning before we start off on whatever the day might hold, or in the evening for a night-time view. I looked up the sunset times for next week-few minutes after 9:00 each evening. If we take the last flight (which is 9:00) will it be dark enough to see the lights of the city towards the end?

I know-we could solve the problem by riding twice:)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Coca-Cola London Eye
Coca-Cola London Eye
71,660 Reviews
London, UK
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
670 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

Well, I would not go twice; have been once and was underwhelmed. My vote would be for night time.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,177 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

I'd got for a "flight" during the day - then you'll see where everything is & how it relates to everything else.

At night iy's just lights

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

I've done it twice (once at night, once in daylight) and I liked both. I can see both arguments, lit up cities look pretty, but in daylight you see more detail, individual buildings etc.

I think the eveing one is the best, as it'll just be getting dark as you board.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

It's your first trip to London? You're eager to see things and get a feel for the city? Go on it during the day - earlier the better.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

I've been on it both during the day and after dark. It is very pretty after dark, but besides Ben and Parliament, you aren't really seeing much besides lights. And you can see them, for free, by taking an after-dark walk along the Thames.

During the day, you can actually see more of the landmarks and the general layout of London. Try to pick a day that is clear and you can see all the way to the O2. You won't see nearly as much if it's rainy and overcast.

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
199 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
The O2
The O2
3,961 Reviews
London, UK
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

I've been on it during the day and in the evening, and I preferred the day time trip. I lived in London for many years so it was nice to be able to get a bird's eye view of the whole canvas and to pick out favourite areas and buildings. I found the evening trip pleasant but less rewarding. I've seen London lit up on numerous occasions when landing at Heathrow at night.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

London is no New York, and is far less spectacular lit up than many other cities, but a sunset trip on the Eye is good because you can see the lie of the land yet still start to see some of the nightime lights coming on.

If you want good photos, after dark is lousy because you need some light in the sky to define the outline of buildings - professional nighttime city shots are very rarely taken at night!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

Day

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

IF you want to see pretty lights buy a kaleidoscope. Wait for a sunny DAY.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our family needs your tiebreaking vote on London Eye!

I agree with Joe. Go on on a clear day. Maybe go after you've been to some landmarks, so you can have the fun of spotting them from the air.