We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

First, let me say you are all awesome for the advice you dispense!!

We're a family of 5 - kids ages 13, 10 and 7 - traveling at the end of June. We've got our flat rented through F&C, will be using justairports or simplyairports for transport from Heathrow, and are close to finalizing our loose itinerary (I don't want to be too rigid, better the kids experience London rather than just check the box on particular sites!!).

My present question has to do with kids and travelcards (what else, right?). We will be purchasing from a rail station 7-day Travelcards and plan on using them with 2-for-1 vouchers we will print and bring from home. I understand that two persons (adult and adult or adult and child)will receive admission to those sites for the price of only one, but...and here is where I get confused...provided that both persons are Travelcard holders. However, is it not true that kids under 11 do not need Travelcards? If this is the case, would kids under 11 have trouble taking advantage of the 2-for-1 since they would not be a Travelcard holder? I hope my confusion is apparent and I'm not just being dense....

One caveat - it seems that the "kids ride free" works only during off-peak times - yes? If this is the case, maybe I have to buy them Travelcards anyway so that they don't have any limits on the time they may travel?...If so, then this would solve the first problem, but I don't want to purchase something if I don't need to spend the money.

Any clarification/help would be MUCH appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

We aim to please.

You've done well to get this far with the detais of Travelcards, rail station ticket offices and the two for one offers. I'll try to answer your questions and be brief.

Each person using the two for ones needs to have a valid rail ticket, or in your case a Travelcard. Having said that, your seven and 10 year olds may travel free on London's buses at any time, with no need for a ticket or Travelcard.

The youngest two may also travel at no charge at any time as long as they travel with an adult holding a valid ticket or Travelcard.

However, your 13 year old will need a ticket of some kind to travel, as will the 10 year old if you wish to take advantage of the two for one offers.

The good news? You may buy one day all zones off peak (after 0930 on weekdays or any time at the weekend or public holidays) Travelcards for just £1 each for the two older children.

If your youngest has no ticket at all you will need to ask a station attendant to open the barriers to let you through; you could buy £1 Travelcards for all three children to speed up the process.

Well then, what do you think?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

I think you're brilliant! One tiny bit to clarify...if I do the single day travelcards for the kids for 1L (don't have the pound symbol :-)), in order to get the 2-for-1, those single day travelcards must be purchased at a rail station (i.e., have the crows feet) - yes? We're staying near Sloane Gardens so Victoria Station is just a short walk so that'll be no problem, if required.

I haven't yet looked into opening times for most sites...do you anticipate it being problematic that their allowed travel time would be only off-peak?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

Oh, I am glad you're more observant than I. Yes, all the Travelcards should be purchased from rail stations in order to be valid for use with the offers.

I think we had a post a couple of weeks ago saying that cards could be purchased in advance of the day of service, especially if you show you have seven day Adult rate cards in hand. If at first you don't succeed with one agent, try another. Have a look at the ticket machines at Victoria as well, as they might be able to sell advance date cards.

Peak or off peak really depends on what you'd like to see or do. Since all three children can travel on buses at any time you could do a bit of this 'n' thatting to get to an attraction by bus before 0930. The two youngest may travel for free during peak hours on the Tube as long as they are accompanied by an adult holding a valid ticket or Travelcard, so you could buy a single for the oldest - a cash Child fare is £2.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

Perfect! I finally feel like I've got this portion of the trip figured out :-) Now I know I'll have a good night's sleep tonight...Thank you!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

I too am travelling with 3 kids, and it seems that kids (tourists) might not be able to travel free. Below is a response I got when I asked about the best way to travel with my kids, from the folks at travinfo@tfl.gov.uk -- their initial response was that my two youngest could travel for free. A couple of minutes later, I got this:

Hello again,

I am sorry but i have givbben you some incorrect information. Indeed you children will be able to travel free but i forgot to inform you that they will need a child photocard to get this. As you will not be able to get this before you arrive and it can take up to two weeks to get this travelcard, i would suggest that you buy the £1 travelcard for each child per day. This will still save you money. I apologise for the incorrect information and wish you a pleasant stay in London.

Regards

Travel Information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

griffelin, how old are your kids and how long are you coming for? Let's see if we know more about transport than Tfl! ;-)

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

We are a family of five traveling to London in July. My kids are 18, 15, and 11. I ordered the two youngest an Oyster Photocard online and it will be available for me to pick up at Heathrow when we arrive. From my research, I think this will be the cheapest way for them to travel in and around London. If you don't travel until the end of June, you should still have time to order cards online.

Now I'm researching various methods/prices/options of rail travel and that is extremely confusing!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

Hi LondoninJuly - The Oyster cards, for us, would not work because we hope to take advantage of the 2-for-1 offers that are available ONLY with a Travelcard purchased at a RAIL station, printed on paperstock and printed with the Crows Feet logo. The T&C specifically state that Oyster cards do not qualify for the offers, thus we aren't considering them.

griffelin - I wasn't aware of the photo requirement but I think as TravellerPlus and I discussed above, even if the kids rode free with or without a photo card, they still need proof of a purchased Travelcard in order to satisfy the T&C of the 2-for-1 vouchers which is why purchasing a single day card for them for 1 or 2 GBP is the better option - then there's no need to get help from a station attendant to get them through the turnstiles due to lack of card, there's no limit on their travel times (off peak or peak), and they qualify for the 2-for-1.

Hope that helps!!

england
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

wow - you people are clever! As far as buying tickets in advance - I've bought travelcards at Waterloo station for the duration of my stay. So its not a problem. They were bought in the information centre - where the kind assistant pointed out that 3 single day off peak were cheaper than a 3 day pass. So think carefully about whether you need passess all 7 days and purchase kids passes at Victoria rail station.

Paper tickets work on the London train service within the travelcard card area. So e.g. if you want to travel outside London your fare to Hampton Court is covered as they are in zone 6.

And if you're going further away look at a family Railcard for discounts on rail fares.

san francisco
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KIDS and Travelcards and 2for1?

We're going to London with our 2 kids this summer and have been doing some research ourselves. It seems the 2-for-1 discount is only valid on the adult ticket price: daysoutguide.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.aspx. Kids tickets are roughly half-price anyway. Therefore, you may not really need to purchase Travelcards for the kids. We're going to buy the Oyster Photocard for our 11 year old, so he can travel at peak times: tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1020.aspx. All the attraction websites have the ticket prices (Tower of London, Imperial War Museum etc.) so you can figure out what is worthwhile for you. With 3 children, you may be better off buying a family ticket. Also, if you are visiting both the Tower of London and Hampton Court Palace there is a joint ticket that will be a good deal for you: hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/…Jointticket.aspx