We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many people actually use room service?

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How many people actually use room service?

I've noticed that when we advise about hotels (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone) we often feel obliged to point out that a hotel chain such as Travelodge are 'no frills' on the grounds that there is no room service. Yet what percentage of people actually use room service? I have only once, and the need to do so is much reduced by the presence of tea and coffee making facilities. In central London there are so many cafes, pubs, restaurants and supermarkets close by that the need to use such an overpriced service is almost zero. I suspect that many minibars remain unopened too. Out of curiosity I asked my friends if they ever used room service and 'You must be joking!' was a fairly typical answer. So, are there many people out there (apart from those who can claim it back on expenses!) for whom room service is a must and for whom it would be a deal breaker if a hotel didn't offer it? I'd be interested to know the percentage of people who actually use it.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many people actually use room service?

I don't usually...but on my last trip to England I did a few times!

I was too tired to go out and look for a place, and it was an airport hotel with limited places around the hotel anyway....and I couldn't face making myself look decent to go to the restaurant in the hotel.

It was good for that but I can love without it - I just pick up a sandwich and a bottle of wine or some other form of take-out.

Its not a pre-requisite for me choosing a hotel - thats for sure.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many people actually use room service?

Yes. It depends on many things.

Lack of room service wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I do enjoy it and have used it many times. Sometimes it's nice to put on my pajamas, find something good on TV or order a movie, and have dinner brought to me. Rest and relaxation always plays a major role in my vacations.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many people actually use room service?

As a woman who happily travels solo a lot of the time, room service is very important to me. I don't always want to go out in the evening by myself, particularly if I've had a busy day sightseeing. Being able to relax with a book and something decent to eat and plan the next day's activity is very pleasant. I also travel for business and then room service is vital - I'm often preparing for the next day's work on my computer, and I don't have time to go out and eat. The best room service I've had in London is at the Hilton London Bridge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many people actually use room service?

I have enjoyed room service in many hotels including Hilton Hyde Park which was great.

Sometimes you have a lie in and enjoy the hotel. Other places I have enjoyed hotel service in hot countries where it is siesta time so it is nice to have light lunch in the hotel room.

Recently I have stayed in Travelodges so no room service but there are ussually cafes near Travelodge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many people actually use room service?

I've never, ever used room service in my life (and so tend to avoid hotels that have it (and charge me for the privilege)). I don't have servants at home, either.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many people actually use room service?

I don't have servants at home, either. I do have a fully stocked and functional kitchen, however, which I don't usually have on vacation.

Room service is really no different than pizza delivery.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many people actually use room service?

> Room service is really no different than pizza delivery. <

I was actually thinking that as you posted... I've never used a food delivery service, either. I guess I just don't like other people doing things for me merely because I think I'm too 'busy' to do them for my self.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many people actually use room service?

jdbri, It's rarely ever the case, with me, that I am too busy. I am a homemaker. I cook for my family and myself at least once a day, and often twice a day. I simply like to have someone cook and serve me in my room when on vacation, just as I do for my family at home.

And I was a pizza delivery girl from the age of 16-22, working to buy a car and pay my way through college. I never felt like anyone's servant.

Anaheim CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many people actually use room service?

I have used room service twice--both times while in London. I didn't really need to, as there were plenty of facilities available nearby. It just seemed fun, perhaps a bit "posh". Surprisingly, the charges on both occasions weren't too expensive; how expensive can hamburgers, pizzas and cokes be?!?

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many people actually use room service?

I have used room service twice,very expensive and never have since then.