Okay, so we're back. I will join the myriad others who post trip reports here because I hope that someone may glean useful info from it, as I have from the many reports I've read. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your passion, time and knowledge with others. This forum helped to make our trip the success it was!
It truly was a wonderful trip. In hindsight, some things I’d do differently if I could do it over again:
• Confine ourselves to a narrower geographic area
• Build in more down time in the beginning of the trip
I know we were so advised, but what can I say? :)
Things I would do again:
• Purchase a GB Heritage Pass (although they didn’t allow us to skip ticket lines anywhere – perhaps just a misconception of mine – we still had to queue for tickets; we just didn’t have to pay for them. This was no problem for us because we didn’t encounter significant lines at any of the attractions we visited)
• Purchase BritRail passes – so easy to use; great for flexibility if traveling via train
• Definitely stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels – excellent value for money if budget is major concern and DH is scared by the term “B&B” - fearing I’m not sure what – maybe being surrounded by lacey, flowery things??? :)
Anyway, the report is below, and it's quite lengthy. I apologize in advance, but I gleaned useful tips from the minute details of others' posts, so I've included a few of those details...