We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

seattle
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

My 16 year old daughter and I will be taking a short, 6 night trip to London, arriving Oct. 26@11:45am. We're staying near Hyde Park. Any suggestions on stuff to do that 1st day, including cheap eats? (We love Indian food)! I'm assuming we'll be jet lagged that 1st day, so was thinking of taking a bus tour of the city to give us an overview of London. By the way, do you know how long jet lag from the U.S.A. will last?

Stuff we want to do:

* British and Tate museums and National Portrait Gallery (which one do you recommend)?

* Cotswald/Oxford walking tour w/Original London Walks (Will

we get that "English charm" at Cotswald? Is Oxford worth viewing? My daughter dreams of going to college there)

* Markets (We are foodies! Heard Boroughs is best for food)?

My daughter adores everything about England, especially it's historical architecture, culture and "way of life". She dreams of living there one day. She's not into seeing the hip, club scene, etc. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. I want to make

our 1st trip to London special!

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
16,950 Reviews
London, UK
National Portrait Gallery
5,124 Reviews
London, UK
London Walks
London Walks
1,687 Reviews
London, UK
The English Restaurant
The English Restaurant
332 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Slow Visits
Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Private Tours
London
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

Londoners say the best and cheapest curry restaurants are in Brick Lane. Nearest tube stations are Shoreditch, Aldgate East or Liverpool Street. This is London's oldest historic area.

You could find the best way to get around are the buses. I recommend the east/west route Number 15 that will take you near Brick Lane.

British Museum is good for ancient (non-British) culture, Tate Britain is great for European fine art and English painter Constable. National Portrait Gallery tells history through famous faces.

Oxford and Cotswolds could be visited on one day. Both full of old world rural and intellectual charm.

Borough market is open to general public only on Friday/Saturday. Get there for 11 am (London Bridge Station).

Check my website www.realondon.net

Mentioned in this post
Borough Market
Borough Market
10,327 Reviews
London, UK
London Bridge
London Bridge
286 Reviews
London, UK
Brick Lane
Brick Lane
1,616 Reviews
London, UK
Tate Britain
Tate Britain
3,256 Reviews
London, UK
5,124 Reviews
London, UK
The English Restaurant
The English Restaurant
332 Reviews
London, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
England
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

As a mother of 3 boys ranging from mid teens to early twenties, the most popular art galleries/ museums for them include The Science Museum, The Natural History Museum & Tate Modern. A fun place to go is Covent Garden, with a wide variety of shops , places to eat & street entertainers.

As far as the Cotswolds is concerned, this area is very much worth a visit - very picturesque. Broadway in particular is lovely. There are lots of quaint tea rooms there & if you want to splash out, The Lygon Arms is an up market place to have afternoon tea.

I'm sure you & your daughter would enjoy a visit to Oxford. The architecture of the various colleges is stunning. Not all the colleges are open to members of the public, & those that are, have restricted visiting hours . If, however, you go to the porters lodge of the individual college & ask to look around because your daughter would like to study there, they are usually very helpful & may even give you a guided tour. The college with the nicest grounds is Worcester , ( I am slightly biased because my son goes there! }. Nice places to eat include Quod on the High Street , but only on week days as the service is a bit erratic at the weekends & Le Petit Blanc in the trendy Jericho area.

Whatever you both decide to do, I hope you have a very enjoyable trip to England!

Mentioned in this post
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
250 Reviews
Broadway, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,558 Reviews
London, UK
Tate Modern
Tate Modern
8,514 Reviews
London, UK
The High Street
The High Street
252 Reviews
Tenterden, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

The Cotswolds and Oxford are definately worth a trip although personally I think the the Costwolds are best explored by personal car than a tour, you see more of the small villages that way. I also love Bath so perhaps a tour of Oxford and Bath could be in order? Plenty of people on this forum have been on the Astral tour of Bath and Oxford and will be able to advise, alternatively they are both an easy trip on the train. I would also recommend a day trip to Hampton Court Palace, I think your daughter would love it.

For food markets, definately Borough, Saturday morning is the best time to go - Does anyone know if Jamie Oliver still frequents it on a Saturday morning with his daughters?

I can't really advise on museums as I don't really like them, I guess it depends what kind of art you are into. The British Musuem is woth a look, as is the Museum of London.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Mentioned in this post
Museum of London
Museum of London
5,047 Reviews
London, UK
Hampton Court Palace
Hampton Court Palace
5,982 Reviews
East Molesey, UK
Jamie Oliver's Diner
Jamie Oliver's Diner
2,146 Reviews
London, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

oyabe, I have a hunch your daughter will really like the National Portrait Gallery. It's markedly different from all of the other galleries and well worth a visit.

Mentioned in this post
5,124 Reviews
London, UK
Ontario
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

My 16 year old daughter and I got back from a week in London 3 weeks ago and she loved all of it. Before we went she would say she wanted to shop A LOT. I think she surprised herself at just how much she enjoyed seeing the sites. She loved the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London and Windsor Castle. Covent Garden was a definite hit with her as well as the cruise on the Thames. She did do some shopping on Oxford St but came to realize that she could buy shirts at home she'd rather be seeing something we don't have at home. I do know that she really enjoyed grabbing something to eat and having a picnic in a park while pretending not to watch the boys playing footie nearby!

If your daughter loves everything about England the only problem you may have is getting her home.

Mentioned in this post
Tower of London
Tower of London
52,800 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
18,721 Reviews
London, UK
Windsor Castle
Windsor Castle
10,211 Reviews
Windsor, UK
National Gallery
National Gallery
32,368 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,558 Reviews
London, UK
5,124 Reviews
London, UK
The Thames
The Thames
195 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,841 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Just to add to the excellent advice you have received so far, I would suggest an investment in Time Out's Cheap Eats Guide. It lists a lot of excellent Indian (and other) places. I'm no expert but a lot of people tell me that Brick Lane is no longer authentic and that there is better to be had elsewhere.

The bus tour is a good idea first day especially if the weather is good. Head to the open top deck and enjoy fresh air as well as the sights. The museums are wonderful but don't try to see all of them in one go. Stick to the highlights and get out as soon as you feel you are flagging. You can always go back another day to see some more.

As for jet lag, it affects us all differently. Anything from 5 minutes to 5 days. Generally I believe that as you are on holiday it doesn't affect you as much as when you go home but that is just a personal theory. Good luck and I hope it's not too bad for you both and have a wonderful tip.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Brick Lane
Brick Lane
1,616 Reviews
London, UK
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

Jet lag -

Coming from California on the overnight flight - I dozed on the flight, but didn't really sleep. Checked into my hotel, unpacked, grabbed an early dinner and did a London Walk at the National Gallery, then went back to my room and crashed. Next day I was fine.

I do have more problems returning to California (find myself waking up at ungodly hours of the morning) than I do going over to London.

My best advice is to hit the ground running, but get to bed earlier than usual (you'll be exhausted) and you'll sleep right through the night : )

-Diana

Mentioned in this post
The California
The California
2,160 Reviews
London, UK
National Gallery
National Gallery
32,368 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

Oyabe: From the time of your arrival in London, you must be taking the British Airways flight leaving about 6:45 p.m., correct? I've taken that flight many, many times and usually just doze on the plane. Once I get to my hotel, I usually go out for a walk. But the bus tour is a great idea, especially if you sit on the upper deck in the open air. If you try to stay up late the first night, you might wake up about 4:30 or 5:00 a.m. the next morning, but once you start taking in all the sights, jet lag shouldn't be a problem after your first full day.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

For 16 year old girls Top Shop in Oxford Circus is a must!

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Almonte, Ontario
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Itinerary Ideas For 16 year Old & Mom

I spent seven days in London with my 16 and 18-year-old daughters this past July. They both loved absolutely every part of our visit. (Well, except for the bombings on the 7th.) A few highlights:

We took train and bus to Burton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds. This is a beautiful village, a wee touch touristy but not excessively so. I very much recommend it.

A river trip down the Thames to Greenwich was also very enjoyable. Both girls got a big kick out of the standing 'one foot in the East, the other in the West'. They also liked the market there.

The Tate Modern was a hit as well. A gorgeous building, and lots of offbeat art to appeal to teens :)

Portobello Market on a Saturday is a great spot for teens. Numerous funky boutiques, etc. Good shopping on Oxford Street as well.

We rented a (lovely) flat in Southwark for the week, and bought most of our food in a nearby Marks & Spencer 'Simply Food' store. Lots of good stuff for teens there.

And yes, there was a lot of great food at Borough Market.

Mentioned in this post
Borough Market
Borough Market
10,327 Reviews
London, UK
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,432 Reviews
London, UK
Tate Modern
Tate Modern
8,514 Reviews