We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid friendly theatre shows

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kid friendly theatre shows

Some recent post got me excited about theatres :) I have no clue about theatres, heck, I hardly go to movie theatres! LOL!

I am looking for kid friendly theatre that is in Central London and is relatively cheaper, because I am not sure if my kid would let us sit through the whole show(is that what it is called??). Sorry, I am really don't know anything about this industry!

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

Really depend on your definition of "Child Friendly" - certainly theatres with shows like "The Lion King" and "Mary Poppins" (and many other theatres) allow children in - no problem BUT you will almost certainly have to pay full adult admission price for them - concessions for children are rare.

As a 'for instance' have a look here :-

thisistheatre.com/londontheatre/lyceumtheatr…

for information about "The Lion King" Theatre and the show.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

Many theatres have a minimum age requirement, how old is your child?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

Only Mary P and Billy E have a recommended ages. This is due to some bad langage in BE and "too dark" for MP. I don't know of any other plays with recommended ages and have never heard of any with actual bars on children.

It all depends on your child's age and what sort of books they are reading.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

Emma, from a previous post of yours (strollers) I can see that your child is 3. Therefore, I think this is too young to take to a theatre show (even Chitty Chitty); we have a 3 and 8y.o, and we wouldn’t dream of taking them both! ok for the 8y.o, but the 3 yo would be up and running around and causing mayhem! and has been said earlier, there might be an age limitation in any case.

why not consider other "entertainment"

Spend a couple of hours in Hamleys and spend a fortune on the latest toys and games etc etc.

and browse these sites for ideas.

www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/out/ent/kids.html

kidslovelondon.com/kll/whatson/offers.html

londontown.com/London/Great_museums_to_visit/

www.londontoolkit.com/whattodo/kids.htm

this is a handy book

http://www.timeout.com/products/lonfc.html

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

I agree w/bojangles. Of course you know your child & how much to expect from her, but since you have some doubts I'd say opt for something else.

My daughter was (she's 14, those days are gone!) a little lady & has attended the theatre & ballets since she was two. I knew she would behave & if bored, simply fall asleep; she was never a problem.

My son was a different story. No way would he have given me a moment's peace and so I found alternative forms of entertainment for him.

You'll find lots of other fun things to fill your time.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

When are you coming. If it is nearer Christmas, there will be plenty of shows for the under 5's.

Also the Polka Theatre www.polkatheatre.com only does play for children or the Tricycle Theatre www.tricycle.co.uk/htmlnew/childrensevents

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

Thanks for the informative response :) My daughter is 3yr old. We are arriving there on 23Nov. bojangles, thanks for all those links. I'll go through them to see what might interest her.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

My three year oldwas entranced with Lion King (here in California) but she is generally a pretty well behaved kid. She has also sat thru a 2 hour Alice in Wonderland ballet with no problems.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,629 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

I was hoping that some of the panto's may have started but sadly no. One show that may interest you and your daughter is a brand new ballet based on Edward Scissorhands which has it's world premiere at The Sadler's Wells theatre on November 22nd. Choreographed by Matthew Bourne (Mary Poppins)it may be a little dark for a 3 year old but you could check out the website www.edwardscissorhands.co.uk to see what you think.

The Ice rink at The Tower of London opens on November 19th this year and may also be if interest. The kids love london website mentioned earlier is very useful.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kid friendly theatre shows

Adam, thanks a lot for posting about Edward Scissorhands :) I am sure my daughter would love that. I am planning to pre-book the tickets too :) Also, the ice rink would be a definite attraction.

I had been thinking what we'll do in the evenings after dark, now I know what we'll do one of those nights(see Edward Scissorhands) :) Thanks much :)