We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another thrilling travel card question

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Another thrilling travel card question

I recall when I was in London 3 years ago I was able to purchase a card to use for the Tube system..I had to go to a booth and get my photo taken for it, then I remember being able to use it for all my days there, without any restrictions, for tube journeys in London. I remember paying separately for a round trip ticket at Kings Cross to go north for the day.

3 years later, what do I anticipate..has the system changed at all? I will be staying in London for 11 days and most likely will be using the Tube every day. I'd like to get a pass like I had before that will last that full time..then I will pay for additional trips out of the city to Bath, Brighton, etc.

I will be coming in via Heathrow Express this time..I assume there will be one of those desks there that can set me up with a photo/travel card?

Thanks again!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another thrilling travel card question

Serafins: There has been so much talk about travelcards on this forum, I can't remember what's what. But if you check the Tube website below, maybe you can figure out what travelcard would be best for you.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2005/index.asp

As for trips to Bath and Brighton, you should check out nationalrail.co.uk for fares. You might also think about getting a Britrail pass if you are doing lots of day trips, and you can use that pass on the Heathrow Express. You don't say when you're traveling, but last year I was able to buy a Britrail pass at half price for travel in November.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another thrilling travel card question

I think you are talking about Oyster Card, becuase I read you require a picture taken for that card.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another thrilling travel card question

You no longer need to get a photo for a travelcard or the new Oyster Card but as others have said things are changing. From September 25th the 7 day card (which will be one you need for most of your stay) will only be available on Oyster, a new smartcard designed to make things easier and cheaper for all (hm!).

This from the tfl website:

From 25 September, 7 Day Travelcards will only be available on Transport for London's Oyster smartcard, meaning customers currently using paper tickets can benefit from faster and easier journeys.

This change is part of a phased introduction, which has already seen the successful implementation of Pre Pay, monthly and longer period season tickets on Oyster.

TfL is waiving the usual £3 refundable deposit for a limited period to make it easier for customers to switch to Oyster.

Mayor of London Ken Livingstone said: "More than two million people already benefit from the convenience of an Oyster smartcard, which is making travel in London quicker and easier by speeding up the bus service, helping to take cash off buses and cutting queues at Tube stations.

"Oyster offers unprecedented benefits over traditional paper tickets.

"Passengers can top up their Oyster card online or over the phone, avoiding ticket office queues; and up to three Travelcards plus Pre Pay can be stored on an Oyster card at the same time, so the new ticket kicks in as the old one expires.

Customers are encouraged to get an Oyster card as soon as possible

Oyster also offers a safer alternative to paper tickets because it reduces ticket touting, and you don't need to take the card out of its wallet."

Customers are encouraged to get an Oyster card as soon as possible, to avoid a last-minute rush around 25 September."

I hope that makes sense but please post again if you are still unclear or contact me direct if that would be easier for you.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another thrilling travel card question

Maybe I should have told you my travel dates:

In Oct 28th out Nov.8th.

I imagine once I get to Paddington from Heathrow there will be some sort of booth to help me out. I need a pass good for 11 days.

I'll look into the BritRail pass and see if it's worth getting. I will be taking at least 2-3 trips out of the central London area.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another thrilling travel card question

Hi again.

You can't get an 11 day travelcard so you would be better off with a 7 day card and then a 3 day one. Depending on your arrival time and/or departure time and how much you planned to do on your arrival day, it might be worth just paying single fares on one of those days. I'm sure there is an information booth at Paddington and the staff at the tube station are usually very helpful.