We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

We are considering a day trip to Oxford and Costwolds with a possible stop at Warwick Castle. I found that these two tour operators do the trips on the days we can go. Andersen has a day trip only on Mondays, which unfortunately, we will not be in London then. I would love to hear from someone who has done these tours to help me decide.

We have two teen girls. Both Harry Potter fans. Older interested in Oxford itself and I would love to see the countryside. Therefore, these tours seem to fit the bill. Although, I was hoping the bill was a bit cheaper. Lol!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

Golden Tours are now doing a 'stripped down' bargain range of tours from £39. Good value but without the admissions included, so it could be done for a similar price by bus or train privately. Evan Evans have also done this bargain basement type of trip, think budget airline over standard carrier and you'll get the idea. You will have a choice during the tour of paying a supplement to go inside Shakesperare's birthplace or Christ Church or being left to you own devices. This will eventually bring the costs up a bit. Standard priced tours are around £60+ and operate by full size coach.

International Friends operate the Oxford, Cotswold and Stratford tour on Thursdays only (no Warwick Castle) and a Warwick Castle, Blenheim Palace, Stratford and Cotswold tour on selected weekends with an overnight stop. These tours are in 16 seat minicoaches.

Is Thursday the day you are available?

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

We are available Wed or Thurs. With preference towards Wed as Friday, we have an early Eurostar to Paris.

Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

I took the Thursday tour to Oxford, Cotswolds and Stratford with International friends last week. I enjoyed the tour, though we didn't get a whole lot of time at these places, which was to be expected. We had about an hour and a half at Oxford where we had a local guide; two stops (about 15 mins) along the way at Cotswolds, an hour's stop for lunch and just over an hour at Stratford. Did a brief stop at Anne Hathaway's house for photos. The person who drove us was well informed and gave us a lot of information about the places we would visit along the way. We let a bit after 8 am and returned to London slightly after 6pm (he tried to drop us off as close to where we wanted to be as possible - per my request, he dropped me off right outside the British museum). It cost 74 pounds. There were only 10 people in our group.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

You may want to consider just taking the train to Oxford and seeing the sights. Some of the tours take you to Oxford, but you may not see the areas where they film Harry Potter. Warwick Castle is great, but with teen girls, they may prefer Kensington Palace with its display of fashion, (do they still have a display of Princess Diana's Clothes) or the Victoria and Albert Museum with their fashion and style sections.

The tours are nice I have done several to Oxford, Warwick, Stratford, Cotswolds and Blenheim.

Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

I visited Kensington Palace last Friday. Yes, they still have a display of Princess Diana's Clothes

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

I know. I am afraid we won't be able to spend as much time as we want in Oxford. Yet, I still want to see the countryside. I wish I could do a custom tour like we did in Mexico last year. But I don't even want to consider what the price would be for that. I think the girls would love to see Princesss Diana's clothes.

Gosford, Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

Another option to give you more flexibility would be to take yourselves to Oxford (train quickest but the coaches are very frequent), spend the morning there (walking tours including Harry Potter are listed here: http://www.oxfordcity.co.uk/info/tours.html), then take a pre-booked half day tour to the Cotswolds with a local company in the afternoon (see oxfordcity.co.uk/oxford/home_travel_tourism_… for some options). You could have your evening meal in Oxford (maybe after evensong in Christchurch if that floats your boat) before returning to London.

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

Rufus,

Actually, I like this option. I will certainly look into this. Thank you.

Gosford, Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

No probs. You could also get a bus to Woodstock in the afternoon (30 mins), which is very Cotswoldy and quaint, and go for a stroll around the grounds of Blenheim Palace. (As it's stupidly expensive to get in my top tip is to buy the local Ordnance Survey 1:25000 map - no. 180 - and see where the public footpath entrance is - they're not allowed to charge you and you get a fabulous view of the mansion!).

10. Re: Tours to Oxford, costwolds wit Golden Tours or Intl Friends

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 07:22