We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jumping the queue with london pass

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
274 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
jumping the queue with london pass

i added up my tour stops and think the london pass will be worth it for me $$$--wise

BUT-- how do you use it to jump the queue??

do you still have to wait in the regular ticket line to trade in your pass for an actual ticket?

i am really mostly concerned about the Tower of London and Windsor Castle---we are going in August and i can imagine that the lines must be huge!!!!

so my #1 priority is not waiting in line

i could buy all of these attractions separately if i want to.....

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

When you go to the Tower, proceed directly to the entrance and they will take your London Pass and scan it. When at Windsor, we went to the group or prepaid ticket area and got right in.

Windsor has alot of volunteers and security since it is a residence for the queen - I am sure they can direct you as the lines do get quite long at the castle.

All bags, etc. are scanned with hand held devices and metal detectors, so I try not to carry a large purse to those venues.

The London Pass makes sense if you buy the seven day one and intend on seeing 5 or more venues listed int he pass: The Tower, Windsor, Hampton Court, Kensington, HMS Belfast, The Tower Bridge, etc.

Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

I was at the Tower of London last Monday. There was a huge line, especially because it was a bank holiday and I didn't get there first thing in the morning. However, with the London pass, I was directed to another entrance to the side (right of the main entrance where the long queue is) and I could just go in. The beefeater tour begins from the main entrance, so you may want to go there after you get in (I recommend that you don't miss this free tour). I am not sure how the London Pass magic works at Windsor castle. I went there last Wednesday first thing in the morning before it opened (opened at 9:45 am, I was there at 9). I was the first one to go in. I felt that the London pass was worth it for me, since I got the 6 day pass. Also, since it was my first visit, most of the attractions listed were of interest to me.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
274 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

thank you--that answers my question

i was just concerned that you would still have to wait in a line...

i hope you enjoyed your trip!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
274 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

thanks for your answer

i was worried that it was a little scam and you still had to wait in line

i can tell that the pass is only worth it if you add up everything you are going to do first...and then decide

hope you enjoyed your trip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

Last year when we were in London, we had the LondonPass and tried to 'jump the queue' at Windsor Castle (the queue was horrendous, even in March) and asked a couple of the attendants how to jump the queue (esp as the book that came with the Pass said we could do that). The attendants told us there was no way to skip the queue and that we had to join the end of that very, very long queue. It was bitterly cold that day and we could have waited for hours, so we left and went to St Paul's Cathedral instead. If we'd taken the book with us, we would have had something to press our case with, but we had a good day anyway :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

<<i added up my tour stops and think the london pass will be worth it for me $$$--wise>>

I'd be interested to see your calculations because from everything I've seen, with the exception of the Wimbledon sites, its literally impossible to visit enough of the sites **in the time allowed** to make it work financially. Would you care to share because this may be of use to others.

You can pre-book WIndsor and TOL without needing to buy the pass.

Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

I bought the 6 day London pass for around 84 pounds including postage to the US. I think I recovered my cost pretty well, unless I am mistaken in my calculations. Traveling solo, I didn't think I could get the two for 1 deals and didn't have more economical options:

The London pass attractions that I visited and ticket prices on the Londonpass website:

Tower of London: 16.50

Towerbridge exh. 7.00

Kensington Palace 12.30

Windsor Castle 14.80

Shakespeare Globe 10.50

St. Paul's 10.00

Churchill museum 12.95

HMS Belfast 10.70

Britain at war 11.45

Queen's galary 8.50

Apsley house 5.70

City cruises 11.50

Jewel Tower 3.00

Wellington Arch 3.50

Original tour disc 2.00

London walk discount 2.00

That is a total of about 142 pounds.

Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

I missed the "National theatre backstage tour', that is another 6 pounds

I was tempted to go to the "London bridge experience' which seems to be around 21.95 pounds, but then based on the reviews, I didn't want to risk a heart attack.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

<<I bought the 6 day London pass for around 84 pounds .... >>

If that's *all* you will see in London and nothing else, you *might just* be able to fit that into 6 days, though I doubt it. (I think I am right that its 6 consecutive days, and not just any 6 days out of a longer period?). However if you plan to visit anything else in that same time period, for example any of the free museums, general sightseeing places like houses of parliament , trafalgar square, national gallery, london eye, any markets, any parks, shopping time, any day trips out of London, I think you have no chance of seeing all those you list, it would be interesting to hear others views. If you are here for longer than 6 days and can have 6 spent rushing round between sights it might be doable, as you can then do the other stuff on the days not covered by the pass.

To me this is the problem with the pass, it initially looks attractive, but as I said on another thread, unless you are riding a fast motorbike between the sites, you cannot fit them all into in the time the pass allows, and even if you can the rushing round aspect will curtail your time and put you a hectic and (to me anyway) unenjoyable schedule.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jumping the queue with london pass

Actually, I'm tempted to get a 6 Day pass and be a tourist in London for a week. I go to the free things all the time but I tend to avoid the things that cost a lot. It works out at a little over £14 a day so one only needs to go to one high cost attraction a day (e.g. Tower of London) to save money.