We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas lights in London

irealnd
9 posts
Save Topic
Christmas lights in London

Hi I am bringing my 2 children to London on the 8th Dec,

i was wondering when the Christmas lights are turned on.

Also aprt from the tower of London, Natural history muesum and the London eye, any other recommendations,

Thanks in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas lights in London

It is still a little early for the actual switch on dates, but the main street lights (Regents, Oxford & Bond) will all be on by the end of November. The Trafalgar Square tree will be up just before the 8th.

As well as the street lights the best shop windows are Selfridges and Hamleys

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas lights in London

perhaps if you could give us an idea of the childrens ages, very young, or just young etc. we can be a bit more specific with some help

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas lights in London

Seanie: I've visited London the last two years, leaving on or before Thanksgiving and the lights have been on then and quite lovely. You can see them on Regent St., Oxford Street (though last year's were underwhelming), and Carnaby St. among others.

Also, last year Harrods' windows were really beautiful and I also liked Fortnum & Mason's decorations.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas lights in London

Kids tend to like the science and imperial war museums as well as they are quite hands on, along with the London Dungeon.

I don't have any wee ones sorry so that is all the ideas I have.

irealnd
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas lights in London

Hi All,

Thanks for Your replys, my children are 8 and 10, gairl and boy, Do You think the dungeon would be a bit to scary for them.

Thanks, again

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas lights in London

When looking at the christmas lights dont just do the main streets (and yes Oxford street last christmas were disgusting - it was nothing more than a illuminated advertisement and a bad one at that but Regent st made up for it).

Look down the small laneways and squares etc. Carnaby street I thought was well done, also (and I cant remeber the name) a street off Regent street had a small laneway no wider than a couple of metres. If you were rushing you would miss it. It was decorated with coloured arches and lights- we you walked down it iand it opened into a little paved square/ space with shops all around - all decorated magically - it was one of the christmas light highlights - was like finding the proverbial "hidden" garden. And there were many more like that. Bond street was another one I thought well done.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas lights in London

Seanie....my two are 7 and nearly 9 and I wouldn't take them to London Dungeon's, I know it would play on there mind's...but that's just how mine are:). Have they been to a big aquarium ?, the London one is right by the London Eye. They might also like Madame Tussard's, I'm sure they would recoginse alot of them, The Rain Forest cafe is quite a novelty for that age group or an open top bus.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
545 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas lights in London

The place 6andy6 refers to is St. Christopher Place, across the road from Bond Street station. Easily missed from Oxford Street. I love walking through that tiny little entry... reminds me of Harry Potter somehow :-)

ee

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas lights in London

Here's a couple of websites with ideas of what to do in London with children---

http://www.4london.info/londonforchildren.htm

http://www.londontreasures.com/children.htm